Thread: att.net

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems whenever I can't get an answer elsewhere I end up here, and I sure hope it helps this time.

I used yahoo web-based mail at work as I didn't want to configure my personal email account on the office computer. I can see whenever my contacts are online - if they use sbcglobal.net, or yahoo.com. My friend uses att.net and she can see when I'm online and sometimes wants to send me a chat message. Although I do receive her chat message and can respond, I cannot see when she is online - or when any of my contacts who use att.net are online, so I cannot institute the chat session with them.

I have checked every setting I can think of and nothing works. I tried sending an invitation to chat and although she recevied it, I still can't see when she's online.

Does anyone know anything about how to fix this? Since yahoo and at&t and sbcglobal are supposedly all the same (i.e., att is my phone company and who I pay for dsl service, yet my server is sbsglobal), I cannot figure this out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharliesDaughter View Post
    It seems whenever I can't get an answer elsewhere I end up here, and I sure hope it helps this time.

I used yahoo web-based mail at work as I didn't want to configure my personal email account on the office computer. I can see whenever my contacts are online - if they use sbcglobal.net, or yahoo.com. My friend uses att.net and she can see when I'm online and sometimes wants to send me a chat message. Although I do receive her chat message and can respond, I cannot see when she is online - or when any of my contacts who use att.net are online, so I cannot institute the chat session with them.

I have checked every setting I can think of and nothing works. I tried sending an invitation to chat and although she recevied it, I still can't see when she's online.

Does anyone know anything about how to fix this? Since yahoo and at&t and sbcglobal are supposedly all the same (i.e., att is my phone company and who I pay for dsl service, yet my server is sbsglobal), I cannot figure this out.
    Are you using an IM client to see the status?

Do you see the contact status in the webmail application?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand. I am using Internet Explorer at work and yahoo's website. I have a whole list of contacts in there and I can see when the yahoo.com and sbcglobal.net people are online; not the others. But that's OK, I would not expect to see aol people, or roadrunner, or comcast, etc., but since yahoo and sbcgobal and att are joined at the hipe and my friend with at&t sees me online, why can't I see her online?

So, I don't use an IM client and I hope that's what you meant by contact status.

Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Are you using an IM client to see the status?

Do you see the contact status in the webmail application?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I moved this thread to Non-Outlook E-mail. It may get more attention there.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharliesDaughter View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. I am using Internet Explorer at work and yahoo's website. I have a whole list of contacts in there and I can see when the yahoo.com and sbcglobal.net people are online; not the others. But that's OK, I would not expect to see aol people, or roadrunner, or comcast, etc., but since yahoo and sbcgobal and att are joined at the hipe and my friend with at&t sees me online, why can't I see her online?

So, I don't use an IM client and I hope that's what you meant by contact status.
    If you are using Yahoo.com to do this messaging, then YES you are using IM, see http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Have you invited them to be a contact?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.