Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to repurpose a Maxtor Shared Storage Drive II to use as a personal backup drive on my Win7 system.

I am having trouble physically connecting it. A ďmale-to-maleĒ USB connection doesnít work (regular USB out port not available on drive) and connecting it via Ethernet ports has the drive installed as a ďUSB Mass Storage DeviceĒ in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section of Device Manager, but not showing as an available drive.

Iím hoping that I donít have a doorstop here. Thanks./ cel

Thanks
    What ports are available on the Maxtor? I have a Maxtor OneTouch II which has a Firewire 400 Mbps port and one (or two, haven't looked recently!) standard USB sockets.

Silly question - I looked it up and it's a NAS RAID-1 box with 10/100/1000 Mbps ethernet only.

Revised questions: can you see it successfully via another non-Windows-7 PC on your LAN? When did it last work?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Lounger
    Thanks
    The drive was working on the LAN (2 XP systems, 2 Vista systems), but only one system was using it for backup- it was not being used efficiently. Within 6 months, all 4 systems will be Win7

Maxtor/Seagates web site seems to say that the Maxtor Shared Storage Drive II is only supported up to Vista. I tried installing the software that ran under Vista, but it will not work under Win7.

I decided that I would use the NAS drive as a personal backup on my system. However, I canít figure out how to connect it properly, so that the drive can be seen.

Iím not a professional network person, so forgive me if Iím not explaining this clearly.

Thanks./ cel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CelVerhaegen View Post
    The drive was working on the LAN (2 XP systems, 2 Vista systems), but only one system was using it for backup- it was not being used efficiently. Within 6 months, all 4 systems will be Win7

Maxtor/Seagates web site seems to say that the Maxtor Shared Storage Drive II is only supported up to Vista. I tried installing the software that ran under Vista, but it will not work under Win7.

I decided that I would use the NAS drive as a personal backup on my system. However, I can't figure out how to connect it properly, so that the drive can be seen.

I'm not a professional network person, so forgive me if I'm not explaining this clearly.
    It does not seem that any of the originally supplied software works with Windows 7.

A reply in this thread - Re: SS2 Vista64 install - Maxtor Shared Storage & Central Axis - Seagate Community Forums talks about upgrading a SSD II drive to Central Axis and then that working on Windows 7.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    It does not seem that any of the originally supplied software works with Windows 7.

A reply in this thread - Re: SS2 Vista64 install - Maxtor Shared Storage & Central Axis - Seagate Community Forums talks about upgrading a SSD II drive to Central Axis and then that working on Windows 7.

Joe
    That's exactly what I've done and I have no issues under Windows 7 x64. The Maxtor is hooked up to my wireless router.