Thread: Relatives?

Lurker
    Thanks
    Looks like some of my family have turned up...

[attachment=86828:y.gif]

[attachment=86829:hello.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
    Looks like some of my family have turned up...

[attachment=86828:y.gif]

[attachment=86829:hello.gif]
    Were you searching for them?

Well, it is the holiday season and a time for families to get together. Nothing like a bunch of yahoos getting together to brighten the season.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like the Yahoo Family has been busy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Boy, it looks suspicious to me. I hope this isn't the work of some bot trying to crash our party with spam. Is someone guarding the gate.
    Daisy

Brian Livingston
    The Yahoo.com entries represent me and Admin Robert Wade testing the Lounge's new-member registration funnel. One result is that we found that no amount of tweaking can make IP.Board 3 accept an apostrophe in a new member's display name. It was relatively easy, however, to get IPB to accept spaces, hyphens, parentheses, and periods. These characters are now documented in help text underneath every input field that new members must enter name-type strings into.

The existence of a Validating Member with the display name Yahoo 2-(). Adobe is our experimental evidence that IPB will accept a display name with every one of the permitted punctuation marks. IPB doesn't merely accept a single punctuation mark in a name and then reject a second or third one. Any combination of permitted characters will work. That's good, because you can't predict what a user will enter. But we always want to steer users toward entering input within the valid character range, whatever it may be.

It wouldn't be surprising for a new member to enter something like Jansen (Jan) Ma Jr. if that is his name. This string includes several characters other than AZ and 09. But the way Robert and I have recently finished configuring IPB, it's accepted as a legal name (either as a display name or a username or a password, which has much looser character-acceptance rules).

All of this testing is in preparation for what will certainly be thousands of new members from the subscribers of the Windows Secrets Newsletter. Notices to the paying subs went out today. From past experience, we know not to generate thousands of e-mails pleading for (or demanding) help. It's much better for us to set up and test the input forms so they work as expected in the first place.

After all of our testing, it's very frustrating that we can't get IPB 3 to accept apostrophes in display names or usernames. We know that Admin Dennis O'Reilly was able to enter his display name with an apostrophe several weeks ago, but that was under IPB 2.x. There doesn't appear to be any way to make this character legal in IPB 3.

We completely understand the reasons why a PHP-based system might make apostrophes illegal in input. But there are ways to "escape" (render harmless) apostrophes and most other ASCII characters. IPB 3 doesn't seem to be escaping apostrophes. We could tell users to enter &# 39; (without the space) for an apostrophe. But that seems ludicrous, would be very hard to explain to end users, and would be difficult to troubleshoot if problems arose later.

Robert and I didn't mean to make anyone think the board was under attack. If we hadn't tested every possibility in the registration funnel, we certainly would have found a lot of IPB glitches the hard way. Instead, we worked around them in the code prior to the WSN subscribers pouring in.

Thanks for your good sleuthing work on this one!