Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advertisements?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Advertisements?

So whenever I sign onto the forum I get various "advertisment" banners immediately below the top toolbar.
    They can read "Fix Windows Fast", "Fix Windows.dll", "Fix sluggish computer now", whatever.

I understand if this is sanctioned stuff and helps pay for the cost of operation; but I have a general phobia about clicking on anything that looks like this.
    I once stupidly clicked on something called "Fix Windows Drivers Fast" and the consequences were a disaster. It took quite a while to get rid of all the crap that caused.
    Once burned; twice shy applies here.
    Is this normal for this forum? If so, is this stuff safe?

Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    You are correct in that it is sanctioned and helps pay for the cost of operation. However, the specific ads are not vetted and should not be taken as an endorsement by Windows Secrets.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-01-05 at 18:01.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You are correct in that it is sanctioned and helps pay for the cost of operation. However, the specific ads are nit vetted and should not be taken as an endorsement by Windows Secrets.

Jerry
    Ok understood; but what does "nit vetted" mean exactly?

rstew

Thanks
    Typo. Should be not vetted. I fixed it.

Jerry

Thanks
    If you don't want to see banner adds or other adware, install an appropriate add blocker.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When we Pay for Windows Secrets and want to post a comment on the latest column thread there should NOT be any ads for us to attempt to work around. Especially when they take up so much room the posts are just a single column down the page. PLUS an ad for FREE Windows Secrets is not paying for operational costs. THE END!

Thank you for reading my POST . .

P.S. Not wanting to add another about this issue so to the comment about using 'ad blocker software' is not my idea of a good practice. I like to keep my system as clean and active as possible. Minimal addons in my browser. Guess this just may need to be my last post. No great loss to this Lounge nor the other posters as I am not able to be here very often. NOT any sort of informational posting either.

Good LUCK,
    Last edited by NTLS; 2015-01-22 at 12:46.
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v37.0.1, Password Maker v1.7.8; WinPatrolPlus: MBAM Free; all with the latest updates . .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    - NTLS, just thought I'd let you know that I use Adblock Plus on Firefox 35 (and previous vers.) and it works great for taking out most ads. Ads really bother me too so I use it and don't see any drawbacks. It's a simple add-on for Firefox. Maybe you won't have to give up on this lounge site, it has a lot of good information from knowledgeable people for free.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CEScott,

Thank you for this info, there are some good people on here, it is the other side, MANAGEMENT that is my issue . .
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v37.0.1, Password Maker v1.7.8; WinPatrolPlus: MBAM Free; all with the latest updates . .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    NTLS,

Good luck with that. I've been complaining in multiple threads about the UAC type blackout popup ad for "Windows Secrets" and got virtually nowhere except for this:

"Ads are a necessity to keep the site running. We have asked iNet to minimize the impact of the ads and they promised us they will try to do that."

And my reply:

With all due respect guys, they apparently didn't do that. Take a look at the title "Popup Disables Lounge". This popup is causing people some grief and irritation. Is this really necessary?

Notice that iNet is referred to as the real controller of this site. I've put posts in the "Popup Disables Lounge" and "Welcome to the new version of the lounge". They already have the guy at laptop advertising the same thing. These are the only two ads that get through Adblock Plus on Firefox. It seems they need these ads to keep the site running, and iNet is not going to stop them, so your only option is to block them. I don't think I could stand to surf the Web if I didn't have ad blockers. I use the one in IE too when I have to use IE.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CEScott,

Again I thank you for this reply, sent a complaint to the Editor of WS newsletter and told them as a paying customer of the newsletter I feel we should not be bothered by those ads especially about signing up for the FREE version of their newsletter. Was told she would look into it and that has been the extent of, doing?

25 January, 2015
    CEScott,

Yesterday was one of my BEST days, seems some of the ads have taken a HIKE! Seems to be a minor improvement.

Time will tell the tale if we are have any improvements
    Last edited by NTLS; 2015-01-25 at 16:33. Reason: Update some what . .
    TIA, CU L8R,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NTLS View Post
    25 January, 2015
    CEScott,

Yesterday was one of my BEST days, seems some of the ads have taken a HIKE! Seems to be a minor improvement.

Time will tell the tale if we are have any improvements

Yeah, sometimes it pays to hound and complain! I'm hoping they'll do away with that popup ad I get. Good luck.

Thanks
    CEScott,

Again I thank you for this reply, sent a complaint to the Editor of WS newsletter and told them as a paying customer of the newsletter I feel we should not be bothered by those ads especially about signing up for the FREE version of their newsletter. Was told she would look into it and that has been the extent of, doing?
    Keep in mind that the forums are not the same as WS newsletter. You pay for the newsletter, but the forums are free. If you are seeing the ads on the forum, I don't think you can make much of a case about them not showing the ads because you pay for the newsletter.

I have found that if I delete my cookies before going to the forums (and other web sites), I don't see the variety of ads, because many of the ads are generated by the cookies on your computer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mrjimphelps,

Thank you for this post and I agree with some of the needed ads to pay for the upkeep. They have links that can be used for those that are paying for their subscription to their NEWS LETTER and make accommodations for the requested removal. It is just, "will they?" As for the cookies, I use Mozilla FireFox v35.0.x and have as a plugin what was called DNTM translated to "Do Not Track Me" now called "Blur" someone else has it now but still works. Plus use the feature of FF to announce to websites "I do not want to be tracked" AND have all cookies cleared each time the browser is closed most of the time using "Private Browsing" with Avast! with their ad blocker and even more.

They do need to raise funds to cover Operating costs. The one I most like to see gone is the one about signing up for their FREE version, that is not producing any income from that ad.

Thank you for reading my posts as well as the others and giving some advice and information because that is what we are all here to see and read . .

Edited by Author, not a writer . . also have purchased some of their books in PDF format, not a CD, and paid full price which means that is total profit and plan on making more purchases for more books to HELP me learn as much as possible so I may HELP some friends and family with our computers. So they cannot say I am not contributing . .
    Last edited by NTLS; 2015-01-26 at 18:56. Reason: More info for the bite . .
    TIA, CU L8R,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,094 Posts
    mrjimphelps,

Thank you for this post and I agree with some of the needed ads to pay for the upkeep. They have links that can be used for those that are paying for their subscription to their NEWS LETTER and make accommodations for the requested removal. It is just, "will they?" As for the cookies, I use Mozilla FireFox v35.0.x and have as a plugin what was called DNTM translated to "Do Not Track Me" now called "Blur" someone else has it now but still works. Plus use the feature of FF to announce to websites "I do not want to be tracked" AND have all cookies cleared each time the browser is closed most of the time using "Private Browsing" with Avast! with their ad blocker and even more.

They do need to raise funds to cover Operating costs. The one I most like to see gone is the one about signing up for their FREE version, that is not producing any income from that ad.

Thank you for reading my posts as well as the others and giving some advice and information because that is what we are all here to see and read . .

Edited by Author, not a writer . . also have purchased some of their books in PDF format, not a CD, and paid full price which means that is total profit and plan on making more purchases for more books to HELP me learn as much as possible so I may HELP some friends and family with our computers. So they cannot say I am not contributing . .
    The newsletter subscription pays for the newsletter only, which I would guess to have a totally different cost structure from the forum. The forum is free for its members and visitors and it costs money to run it.The ads cover some of those costs. The alternative is... no forum.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh! I see, even the Ad just to the right side of each thread about Signup for the FREE version of Windows Secrets Newsletter from WS is also paying for the upkeep of this website. Also I was a member of the FREE version for some 25 -30 years, do not remember when I first signed up for it, but; it was a rather long time ago. Plus purchasing some of their Books on CDs but taking them as downloads in PDF format and reading them on my computer and eReader, which makes what they are charging clear profit because they did not need to place them on those expensive blank CDs. Maybe they are about a nickel apiece or less if purchased in a very large package. Plus if I pay for a subscription to Windows Secrets why should they ask me to subscribe for a FREE version?

Never mind I guess just closing my account with the forum and let it go at that.

Thank you for reading my posts and giving your opinion . . actually I feel most people that are posting on here do not work for them which makes them volunteers.
    TIA, CU L8R,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast