New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

When I boot up my computer everything opens as normal, however, the icons on my taskbar are inactive. I've found that by launching the task manager then cancel the task manager activates the taskbar icons! Any suggestions as to what might cause this and how to fix it? AMD Phenom 9850 quad-cor 2.50 ghz with 4 gb ram, windows 7 home premium 32-bit
    Thanks,
    AZGeorge
    AZGeorge

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by George Davidson View Post
    When I boot up my computer everything opens as normal, however, the icons on my taskbar are inactive. I've found that by launching the task manager then cancel the task manager activates the taskbar icons! Any suggestions as to what might cause this and how to fix it? AMD Phenom 9850 quad-cor 2.50 ghz with 4 gb ram, windows 7 home premium 32-bit
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

By inactive do you mean that you click on an icon and nothing happens?

Are you waiting a sufficient amount of time for the boot process to settle down?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    3 questions:

Are you talking about just the Notification Area or the whole Taskbar?

Does the Start button work?

Do they work in Safe Mode?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This happens to me, although not at startup - and to lots of other people. Most of the links I've followed suggest it's a problem with Firefox - and that there isn't a solution at the moment.

It's more likely to happen if I move, resize or minimise a Firefox window but sometimes it just happens if I leave the PC idle for a while or at random.

It's happened on all versions of Windows 7 I've tried including beta and RC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

By inactive do you mean that you click on an icon and nothing happens?

Are you waiting a sufficient amount of time for the boot process to settle down?

Joe
    I am waiting ample time - I've waited for up to and over 10 minutes. Actually the desktop and the toolbar icons are inactive-nothing happens when I mouse over or click.
    It is strange that when I activate the task manager and then cancel, everything is then working.
    Thanks Joe, If you have any ideas let me know, from other replies, other people are having the same problem.
    AZGeorge
    AZGeorge

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You have a driver that is not working fully, check the Device Manager.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.