Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to cut down on the installed size of WIN 7 which I have on an SSD - both on a Netbook and Desktop PC.

I have found the following folders and suspect that they can be emptied without any adverse effects

1 \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads

2 \Windows\Minidump

3 \Windows\memory.dmp

4 \Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

5 \Windows\assembly

6 \Windows\Installer

7 \Windows\Speech

Anyone tried with no bad effects?

Bryan

Thanks
    Hi Bryan,

I'm running a stripped version of Build 7600 on a very slow 8GB SSD netbook,

I don't have 2, 3 or 7.

I'm not sure it would be safe to remove 4 or 5.

1 and 6 would almost certainly be recreated each time you update the OS, IE, etc. or install a program and deleting 6 may break the repair and possibly uninstall options available from anything installed from .msi or even .msu (just guessing here though).

There are some (possibly eeeuser and/or aspireoneuser?) forums where this was an active topic just after the public Beta was released. Hardly worth the effort if, like me, you have an early Aspire One - the SSD is just too slow.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You MAY be able to get rid of #4. That folder appears to have inf files which would be used in adding new hardware.

Leave #5 alone. Those are .NET assemblies used by various components. You would almost surely run into big problems if those are not available.

Joe