Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to cut down on the installed size of WIN 7 which I have on an SSD - both on a Netbook and Desktop PC.

I have found the following folders and suspect that they can be emptied without any adverse effects

1 \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads

2 \Windows\Minidump

3 \Windows\memory.dmp

4 \Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

5 \Windows\assembly

6 \Windows\Installer

7 \Windows\Speech

Anyone tried with no bad effects?

Bryan

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Bryan,

I'm running a stripped version of Build 7600 on a very slow 8GB SSD netbook,

I don't have 2, 3 or 7.

I'm not sure it would be safe to remove 4 or 5.

1 and 6 would almost certainly be recreated each time you update the OS, IE, etc. or install a program and deleting 6 may break the repair and possibly uninstall options available from anything installed from .msi or even .msu (just guessing here though).

There are some (possibly eeeuser and/or aspireoneuser?) forums where this was an active topic just after the public Beta was released. Hardly worth the effort if, like me, you have an early Aspire One - the SSD is just too slow.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You MAY be able to get rid of #4. That folder appears to have inf files which would be used in adding new hardware.

Leave #5 alone. Those are .NET assemblies used by various components. You would almost surely run into big problems if those are not available.

Joe