New Lounger
    Thanks
    In XP I could change the direction for windows explorer to open & display the C drive & all the folders. In win & I can't get this to work. Anyone have a workaround for win 7?

Regards

Ed

Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to the start menu. On the right side, RIGHT click "Computer" and drag it to the desktop. Choose "Add shortcut here", then either leave it on the desktop or pin it to the taskbar. That's the best I can suggest. You can't get a folder view like you could in XP. The tree is in the left column, but you have to manually open each level. I'm going to use PowerDesk Pro--if it works under Windows 7 the way it did under XP.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I can confirm that both Power Desk Pro 6 and Xplorer2 work fine in Windows 7 64-bit. I haven't installed PowerDesk 7 yet, just in case I want to wipe the Win7 partition and re-do the install.

FWIW - PowerDesk 7 reports each installation back to V-Com and will refuse to install run if you have installed it too many times. I ran into that problem back when I was troubleshooting what turned out to be a bad mobo. But I had re-installed Windows XP Pro on that machine several times and, of course, installed all my utils each time.

V-Com reset the counter after I explained the situation and I bought another license as well. But now I install PowwerDesk Pro 6 if there is a chance that I might want to re-install the OS.

dwayne

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know about the C-drive specifically but if you open the properties from your shortcut
    and in the target add a space to the end of the string & then add ,e /
    It should look like this... %windir%\explorer.exe ,e /

This will cause explorer to open up with the Computer highlighted in the left pane
    and all your drives shown in the right pane.

Hope this helps.. I really hate for explorer opening to (old os) My Documents
    and now in 7 opening to the Libraries.
    Main System
    Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX Power Supply
    ASRock X58 Deluxe Mobo
    Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield Quad Processor
    OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 SDRAM (12GB)
    Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB (OS HDD)
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (Data - Personal Folders & Files)
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB (Dual Boot XP Partition & Storage)
    HIS H485QS1GP Radeon HD 4850 1GB Video Card
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
    GMC R-2 Toast AZT-GMCR2-BL Mid Tower Case

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just added a Library folder pointing to my system drive, C:, so when explorer opens, that's at the top of the library list. I also put a couple of frequently accessed sub folders in it. I am getting to like the library idea. It gets everything you frequently need instantly at your fingertips.

[attachment=87269:library.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ed,

I'm not entirely clear on what you want but try this:

If you change the target of the Taskbar's Explorer Icon properties to:
    %windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

It will open on "computer" instead of the libraries.

Save the original if you wish to put it back the way it was.

Thanks
    I've always opened Explorer to show the C: drive (from a shortcut), and XP and Win7 both work with
    Code:
    C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,c:\
    for me! I have set the shortcut Properties in Win 7 to Run as Administrator (for what good that does...).
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    BATcher's shortcut works just fine, and is what I use. If you have the Explorer shortcut pinned to the taskbar, you can modify that shortcut by adding the switches instead of placing another shortcut on your desktop.

Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I've always opened Explorer to show the C: drive (from a shortcut), and XP and Win7 both work with
    Code:
    C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,c:\
    for me! I have set the shortcut Properties in Win 7 to Run as Administrator (for what good that does...).
    I've seen variations of this with the /n switch. What effect does this have?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    I've seen variations of this with the /n switch. What effect does this have?
    This MS site explains the explorer switches.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows