New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a clean install and was delighted after using Vista HP 32bit. I had been using Win7 RC1 32 bit in a dual boot with Vista and all worked very well. I used Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor which told me my PC was OK for Win7 and was 64 bit compatible.
    All was fine until I installed an update for hardware installed - Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem. (I did not have auto update enabled) But Update kept asking me and I saw no harm in doing so.

Over days my PC became very unstable, and whenever I shut down or restarted it went to a blue screen of death and rebooted every time. After 2 weeks I could suffer no more and Googled the problem to no avail. Then used Microsoft Support and selected the chat option. Moments later I was connected to a support technician who remotely took control of my PC (with my permission) He rather politely told me off that I had not maintained my disc and so he helped me to run run Microsoft's OneCare Full Service Scan. He called me from the UK and we chatted for 90+ minutes and I am currently based in Thailand!

He said he would call back in 2 hours once the scan completed, he did but it was only 6% complete then, and we made an appointment for the next day same time due to the time difference.

A few times during the long call he said that he thought i had a hardware problem. So the next morning I looked at the Device Manager and no less than 33 error entries were there for the Motorola Modem. This modem I do not use as I have an ADSL external modem. So I got brave and opened up the tower (after unplugging the PC's power, the only way to shutdown the damn thing!) and easily removed the said modem.

Restarted the PC and its was perfect, problem solved. I therefore sent a reply email to Microsoft explaining what I did and that all was now well.

Later he called me back and said that Microsoft would inform Motorola of this issue and I suggested that the Upgrade Advisor should carry some sort of warning that just because its says my 32bit setup was compatible it does not mean that a 64 bit installation will be hardware wise.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Thanks for posting your story. The biggest problem in going to 64-bit Win7 is driver availability. Just because the Upgrade Advisor says it is OK is no guarantee that the OEM will produce a 64-bit driver (especially for older equipment).

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Robin

Hi and welcome

Whenever you get a blue screen of death a "DMP" file is created. that file can be analyzed to find the casue. It is usually is located in C:\windows\minidump. if it is there someone can debug it and find the probable cause. If it happens in teh future mention that you have that file/

Hope this helped

Good Luck

Ken J+
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ken
    Thanks for that useful advice
    Regards
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    Robin

Hi and welcome

Whenever you get a blue screen of death a "DMP" file is created. that file can be analyzed to find the casue. It is usually is located in C:\windows\minidump. if it is there someone can debug it and find the probable cause. If it happens in teh future mention that you have that file/

Hope this helped

Good Luck

Ken J+