New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am thinking about trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 instead of an upgrade. My question is this: If I do a clean install of Windows 7 but have a partition on the computer that still has the restore feature for Vista, how does that affect the drive and if I had to do a restore, would I be restoring to Windows 7 or back to the Vista since it is on that partition? (Does this make sense?) Also, if I install Windows 7, would I still be able to network into my Vista laptop and share files or would I have to upgrade both? Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've heard that installing a new OS can mess up that recovery partition. I just wonder though, doesn't your laptop have some option to create recovery discs? Most Vista laptops have that option since pretty much none of them came with discs. So I would just create those recovery discs and then not worry about it. Then you can wipe that recovery partition and gain a few extra GB's of space too.

Networking will be fine. I have no problems going between my Vista desktop or even my son's XP desktop through our network in Win7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Debi,

I use a Dell Laptop x64Bit OS Windows 7 with my Vista Home Premium on the partition for backup, I did a In Place Upgrade, and it went real smooth.
    I keep the Vista on the Partition, and if needed to restore, then it would be Vista Restore, Win 7 Upgrade Again. Until the PC manufacturers come out
    with a better alternative, I am stuck with this method. Good Luck and Enjoy Win 7.

Mick Barker Sr.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Debi. If you mean by restore that you might wish to return to Vista ( which I cannot even imagine, btw) that should not be a problem. When you do your clean/custom installation of Win7 you will select the partition containing Vista ( C which will leave the recovery partition intact (typically D should you wish to revert to Vista. As Ben said, with recovery media on hand you could actually wipe out the D: partition to reclaim space, but I usually recommend that be left in place for those who are less adventuresome or experienced. Networking with Win7 is easier by far than it has ever been, so file-sharing with your laptop should be a non-issue.

Carl