New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Word for Mac 2004. I do not employ headers and footers on my documents, but when I begin to print a Word document, I always get the warning, "A header and a footer of section 1 are set outside the printable area of the page. Do you want to continue." How can I (A) eliminate headers and footers from a new blank document and (B) avoid having to click on "Yes" every time I print a document. A new registrant - thanks to all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MS Word in Windows has a normal.doc file where it keeps startup defaults for documents. If MS for MAC works the same way, it sounds like you have a normal.doc file that someone added a default headed and footer. If so, you may be able to delete the file (better yet, rename the file, just in case) and you should no longer have a header/footer in you document startup.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, Gershon, I'm not quite following you. I do have a "Normal" in the Microsoft User Data of my computer's Documents portion of my User File. When I changed its name from Normal to Normal A, I could not then start a new blank page because of an error message. I had to go back to the original "Normal" name. It seems to me that there should be some way of just deleting the header/footer from the Normal, some command from the menu bar for instance. With a new blank document, when I go to View - Header and Footer, there they are as shown by dotted lines.

Thanks
    If you open the Normal template (in Windows, you have to right-click and choose Open, because if you double-click you get a new blank document), you could check the Page Setup and see whether the header and footer margins are set to 0 or something else less than about 0.25. I am not familiar with the Page Setup dialog for Word/Mac/2004, but if you check all the tabs in that dialog, the header and footer margins should be in there somewhere.

You also can check the headers and footers, if any, to make sure they really are blank.

Any luck?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersel King View Post
    Sorry, Gershon, I'm not quite following you. I do have a "Normal" in the Microsoft User Data of my computer's Documents portion of my User File. When I changed its name from Normal to Normal A, I could not then start a new blank page because of an error message. I had to go back to the original "Normal" name. It seems to me that there should be some way of just deleting the header/footer from the Normal, some command from the menu bar for instance. With a new blank document, when I go to View - Header and Footer, there they are as shown by dotted lines.
    In Windows, when you erase (or change the name of) normal file, Word will recreate it when open a file. The recreated file will not have anything that was added to tthe old normal file. Then when you start a new blank page, it should not give you any error messages (what was the error message?). Perhaps the MAC Word workds differently. In that case, try jscher2000's suggestion of editing your normal file to remove the header/footer or change its margins. Good luck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had previously gone to Page Setup trying to find a way to eliminate the headers/footers. The header/footer margins have long been set to zero trying to eliminate them that way. But that's really the problem, isn't it? The Print command sees a zero top and bottom margin for the headers/footers and throws up the warning message given in my original post. If I would adjust the header/footer margins to, say, 0.50 inches, the print would proceed with no problems, but then this would drop the first line of the new document a half inch farther down the page. What I want is a new blank document with no footers and no headers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gershon, this is the error message I got when I changed the name of "NORMAL" to "NORMAL A" and then tried to open a new blank document:
    The document name or path is not valid. Try one or more of the following:
    (A) Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly, or
    (B) On the File menu, click Open. Search for the file using this dialog box."

Thanks
    I had previously gone to Page Setup trying to find a way to eliminate the headers/footers.**The header/footer margins have long been set to zero trying to eliminate them that way.**But that's really the problem, isn't it?**The Print command sees a zero top and bottom margin for the headers/footers and throws up the warning message given in my original post.**If I would adjust the header/footer margins to, say, 0.50 inches, the print would proceed with no problems, but then this would drop the first line of the new document a half inch farther down the page.**What I want is a new blank document with no footers and no headers.
    Yes I think you are right that the header/footer margins being set to zero is the problem. My Normal template has top and bottom margins of 2.54 cm (= 1 inch) but the headers and footers are set as being 1.25 cm (about 0.5 inch). There is nothing in my headers and footers by default. The header takes up space inside the margins, and unless you have very large material in the header it shouldn't push the margin down.*

[attachment=86882:Header area.jpg]

I assume you want some margin at the top of the document for the sake of a pleasing appearance.

Ian

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    If I would adjust the header/footer margins to, say, 0.50 inches, the print would proceed with no problems, but then this would drop the first line of the new document a half inch farther down the page. What I want is a new blank document with no footers and no headers.
    What size are your page margins? If you use 1", for example, and your header/footer are empty, then 0.5" header/footer margins won't make any difference. Word only moves the content within the page margins if the header/footer is too large to fit in the space allowed (in this example, 1"-0.5").

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, y'all, I think I have it now. The header/footer is still there, but now it doesn't seem to interfere with the page layout or the printing. Thanks to everyone.

I just joined the Lounge yesterday. I can see how this can become a valuable resource, either reading the posts of others or asking a question of my own. Happy computing to all.