New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation

I'm running Win7 (64-bit) and it was instantaneous love...I upgraded from Vista 32 bit. I'm curious about the Taskbar (called Quick Launch Bar on XP). I want my desktop as clean as possible (free of unnecessary icons), yet icons show on the desktop row below the Win7 Quick Launch Bar. How can control how that appears? What am I missing in the concept?

Thanks
    Hi there Edward

Like you I do not like a lot on the desktop and as I* am a wee bit tired at the moment and feeling lazy, here is a link that will show you how to "Re-enable" the quick launch task-bar in windows 7. Saves me from typing in the full instructions*

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7cus...aunch-toolbar/

ErnieK

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't quite understand your question Edward, but I suspect that you're missing the basic philosophy of the new Taskbar.

It combines the old taskbar's quicklaunch and running programs icons functions into a "superbar" - icons appear for each program you have running, but by right clicking on the icons of programs you use often and selecting "Pin to Taskbar" you can have them there permanently.

It's an outstanding new feature of Windows 7. Beats Mac's tacky Launcher by a country mile.

Here's a guided tour: Windows 7 taskbar

http://gizmodo.com/5075340/microsoft...dows-7-taskbar
    Alan Vallis
    http://mywitsend.co.nz

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but one problem with the new approach is that the pinned items, which in effect replace the old quick launch toolbar, are spaced far enough apart to drive a bus between them, and I've been unable to find a way of changing that. Which is why I resurrected the old quick launch bar from its hiding place.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Vallis View Post
    Beats Mac's tacky Launcher by a country mile.

Here's a guided tour: Windows 7 taskbar

http://gizmodo.com/5075340/microsoft...dows-7-taskbar
    I use the "old style" quick launch to keep my desktop clean. Everything that I don't actually Delete, that was intended for the Desktop, goes there keeping my desktop nice and clean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Vallis View Post
    Beats Mac's tacky Launcher by a country mile.
    In what way, as a matter of interest?
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can "bring back" the Quick Launch bar - it's not located on the taskbar in Win 7 as it is in Win Vista. You can simply create a new toolbar accessible from the Win 7 taskbar.
    First you create a new folder in "'C:\" - such as "C:\Quick Launch" Now populate it with shortcuts for all the program shortcuts you had when you were using Win Vista. Finally right click on a vacant spot on the Win 7 Taskbar and click on "Toolbars" and then "New Toolbar" on the fly-out window, navigate and click on the newly created "C:\Quick Launch" folder.

I might sugges an alternate which is pretty cool. Install Dell Dock. The easiest way to get the most up-to-date version is to navigate to Dell's website and enter "Dell Dock Download" in
    the search box. Try it out! It is pretty slick and gives a more powerful equivalent to the old Quick Launch.

Don Plorde

Thanks
    I created a new folder called shortcuts in My Documents, then dragged all the desktop Icons for programs into this folder. Next right click on the taskbar, choose toolbars, then new toolbar. Once there point toward the new Shortcut folder and choose Ok. You will now have all these shortcuts in one folder that has a >> to click on to open whatever program you want. You can drag the shoertcut back and forth on the task bar to display as much or as little as you want. I keep it so that Shortcut>> is all that is displayed to keep my task bar clear. The >> is the drop dowm list feature, or to be more precise the drop up in this case.

To add new programs to the folder simply right click on the taskbar "Shortcut" and choose open. The shortcut folder you created will open to allow more shortcuts to be added.

This is the easiest way I know to control the clutter on the desktop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy