Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking at minimizing the footprint of Win 7 for an SSD I find that certain OS files are duplicated :

ie in Windows root folder and Windows\System32

one example is notepad.exe - another write.exe

Why is this so and can duplicates be removed?

Bryan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Bryan.

Notepad is the old .txt editor that has been with us for quite some time, I think back to the very first version of Windows that ever came out.
    It is just a plain old text editor. I still use it allot, as when I copy text from a Word .doc file, and paste it into a Thunderbird, it don't come out very nice, so I paste the Word file into Notepad, than copy the text again, and paste it into Thunderbird, and it looks much better.

Write, which I didn't know about until I read your post, looks like the old Wordpad that was with XP. The old Wordpad would open Microsoft Word .doc files, and I just tried using Write to open a Word file, and it was garbage, but I noticed that I didn't have the option of choosing a .doc file, but there was .docx in the list. I think .docx is what office 2007 uses.
    I'm still running Office 2003 which don't put out .docx files

I even went into Explorer and tried to open a .doc file with the "Open With" when right clicking on the .doc file, and got the same garbage in the file.

So it looks like Write in Win7 is a replacement for Wordpad in XP, but is not backward compatable with .doc files.

Hope this helps.

Gee... You just caused me to LEARN something

Denny in Waco
    Denny in Waco Ohio

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Denny,

Glad you learned something.

I was actually looking for an answer to : <certain OS files are duplicated :>

I can certainly remove both copies of notepad as I use NotePad ++ which is far superior - however some OS actions open Notepad.

Why would MS put two copies of these files in the system anyway?

Bryan in Aussie

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again Bryan...

Like I said in my reply to you, that Notepad and Write (Or the old Wordpad) are two different programs altogether.

Write and Wordpad load Microsoft Word files. But the old Notepad don't load Word files.

Just a while ago, I was reading the Windows Secrets column, and something about Wordpad came up, so I tried typing "Wordpad" in the run box hoping the OLDer Wordpad would come up, and a program CALLED Wordpad came up. But it still got the same garbage when I tried to load a .doc file. Now there you might have a point that there are two of the same programs with different filenames, but I'm not sure of that.

So they must have done something to Wordpad in Win 7 also, as I only had the option of loading a .docx file. (I don't have any .docx files on my system to test) Maybe "Wordpad" and "Write" ARE the same program
    But I do know that Notepad is just a cheap and dirty text editor.

I just tried to load a .doc file in Notepad, and it was also garbage like it had always been. Notepad never did load .doc files from Word. But I just wanted to make sure it still didn't work in case they changed it in Win 7.

Now what is the scoop on the Notepad ++ you are talking about? Sounds interesting.

C.U.L.
    Denny
    Denny in Waco Ohio

Thanks
    Yeah, the seemingly "duplicate" files/folders are a result of the use of "hard links" in Windows 7.

Here are a few article that shed light on the use of Hard Links:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...isk-space.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/arc...-so-large.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/mrsnrub/arc...ard-links.aspx

The winsxs folder has many such hard links and takes up a [seemingly] ridiculous amount of space. But unfortunately explorer doesn't tally the numbers properly;
    hard links don't get recognized.

EDIT
    With all the driver recognition built into windows 7, i'm sure there is alot of bloat that could use a good trimming.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Notepad++ is open source software and brilliant

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Some of the features are

Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
    WYSIWYG
    User Defined Syntax Highlighting
    Auto-completion
    Multi-Document - side by side possible too
    Multi-View
    Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
    Full Drag N' Drop supported
    Dynamic position of Views
    File Status Auto-detection
    Zoom in and zoom out
    Multi-Language environment supported
    Bookmark
    Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
    Macro recording and playback

Bryan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just wish I could trim the winsxs directory with 5.79 GB (6,221,655,451 bytes)

on my SSD it does take a lot of space.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys...

You got me on that Win SXS directory. I don't know anything about that one. From what read from the links in post #5, I myself would leave it alone.

Also to Bryan. Thanks for the info on Notepad++. I'll check it out and see how it works, sounds neat.

Denny
    Denny in Waco Ohio

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post
    I just wish I could trim the winsxs directory with 5.79 GB (6,221,655,451 bytes)

on my SSD it does take a lot of space.

Rich
    It does NOT really take up as much space as you think. Most of the files in winsxs are simply hard links to the real files, which are somewhere else on the disk. The space reported by Windows Explorer ignores this, so files are counted two (or more) times, even when there is only one file actually on the disk drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richnrockville
    [snip]
    Please see this old post 753918, in a thread about something completely different, so no need to post there.

And please, all, use the search tool here in the Lounge.

Since all the new users signed up, we have had some new threads on this matter. The above linked post was in completely different thread, but it does explain some things and links to some source, the winsxs has been explained in other posts as well.

We have had some 3.5 pages of new posts in only the Windows 7 forum, already. Obviously this is a new OS, so there may be a lot that has not been mentioned or otherwise been discussed, but other forums here are full of information as well.

AND, it's been mentioned in this thread post #5: [snapback]807653[/snapback].

Links to recent threads on this, apart from this one:
    [topic='769038']WinSxs Folder Growth;, 2009-12-03[/topic]
    Another one about size:
    [topic='769249']Windows 7 is a smaller OS ?????[/topic]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look here.

The write up is about Vista but it applies equally to Windows 7.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell