New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Outlook 2003 at work with Windows XPP on a desktop computer. Every so often I need to conduct a search of my sent emails and I usually do so by using the data in the To column. however, outlook makes this harder than it needs to be because it doesn't show the recipient's info in this column the same way each time an email is sent. Sometimes it will show up as the full email address I originally typed in the To field of a new email (I hardly ever use the address book function of Outlook to locate the email address); other times it will show the person's full name - either first name/last name, or vice versa. I've also noticed that some entries in the Sent Items folder are surrounded by single quotes while others are not. This means that my searches take much longer than they should because of all the different ways a recipient can be listed in the Sent Folders section.

Do you know why Outlook does this and how I can force it so that all future emails will only show the email address (and not a person's name) in the To column of the Sent Folder? Is there also a way to do the same thing for the existing emails shown in the To column of the Sent Folder?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Malawski View Post
    Every so often I need to conduct a search of my sent emails and I usually do so by using the data in the To column. however, outlook makes this harder than it needs to be because it doesn't show the recipient's info in this column the same way each time an email is sent. Sometimes it will show up as the full email address I originally typed in the To field of a new email (I hardly ever use the address book function of Outlook to locate the email address); other times it will show the person's full name - either first name/last name, or vice versa. I've also noticed that some entries in the Sent Items folder are surrounded by single quotes while others are not. This means that my searches take much longer than they should because of all the different ways a recipient can be listed in the Sent Folders section.
    Some of these differences may be caused by replying to a message sent to you. In that case, Outlook appears to use the formatting of the sender's display name and address from the incoming message. Otherwise, Outlook remembers how you have entered the address before. Thus, variations accumulate over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Malawski View Post
    Do you know why Outlook does this and how I can force it so that all future emails will only show the email address (and not a person's name) in the To column of the Sent Folder? Is there also a way to do the same thing for the existing emails shown in the To column of the Sent Folder?
    I don't think you can change existing messages. Outlook 2003 lets you edit some aspects of a sent or received message, such as the Subject line or message body, but the recipients are somehow protected. You could in theory use a little VBA to copy the actual SMTP address from the To field to a different field. There isn't an obvious candidate, so as a test, I tried the Mileage field (as far as I know, Sent messages do not have Mileage). However, although the code did not throw an error, it also did not do the update. Hmmm...

For new messages, you either can edit the fields manually, or you could use code to reformat the addresses after you click Send. No time tonight to try that, unfortunately.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I don't think you can change existing messages. Outlook 2003 lets you edit some aspects of a sent or received message, such as the Subject line or message body, but the recipients are somehow protected. You could in theory use a little VBA to copy the actual SMTP address from the To field to a different field. There isn't an obvious candidate, so as a test, I tried the Mileage field (as far as I know, Sent messages do not have Mileage). However, although the code did not throw an error, it also did not do the update. Hmmm...

For new messages, you either can edit the fields manually, or you could use code to reformat the addresses after you click Send. No time tonight to try that, unfortunately.
    Thank you for the reply - I'd be interested to see what you find out. I was hoping for a simpler solution somewhere within the Outlook options panel; if you have any other ideas that can help, please let me know.

Thank you.