Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought I was a reasonably savvy user until I tried to configure our computers to share files and a printer. I have done it easily in the past by following the XP instructions. Now I cannot. What has changed is a new laptop running Vista and a switch from McAfee to Kaspersky security. I need some help in reasonably un-jargonned language.

I have three computers. All run Kaspersky security.
    1. The desktop is wired through the router. It runs XP. It is wired to the printer.
    2. Laptop A runs XP.
    3. Laptop B runs Vista.

I generate the needed file on a stick using the Desktop. I insert it into the laptops and run the network setup routine. Nothing!
    I turn off Kaspersky and repeat the process. Nothing!
    I recite magical and scatalogical endearments over the machines. Nothing!

I am sure the solution will have a large DUH! factor but I really need to set up a shared home network. Any suggestions?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well as you've added a new box to the network have you made sure it's using the same WORKGROUP name as your XP boxes? Typically found by right-clicking on My Computer and on one of the tabs there. Not sure with Vista though.

Don't forget to also create a user that is on each box that has the same password.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JES Mason View Post
    I thought I was a reasonably savvy user until I tried to configure our computers to share files and a printer. I have done it easily in the past by following the XP instructions. Now I cannot. What has changed is a new laptop running Vista and a switch from McAfee to Kaspersky security. I need some help in reasonably un-jargonned language.

1. The desktop is wired through the router. It runs XP. It is wired to the printer.
    2. Laptop A runs XP.
    3. Laptop B runs Vista.

I generate the needed file on a stick using the Desktop. I insert it into the laptops and run the network setup routine. Nothing!

I am sure the solution will have a large DUH! factor but I really need to set up a shared home network. Any suggestions?
    See Troubleshooting file shares on a home network » Windows Secrets Lounge. Work your way through the questions. Also see Networking home computers running different versions of Windows.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JES Mason View Post

2. Laptop A runs XP.
    3. Laptop B runs Vista.

Start with the basics
    Turn off the Kaspersky firewall and any other firewalls and then try it.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What is this "I generate the needed file on a stick using the Desktop. I insert it into the laptops and run the network setup routine. Nothing! "?

I have yet needed to transfer any file form one machine to another to get one on a network.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I changed from Kaspersky to McAfee and all is right with the world now. McAfee has a very easy way to link up a home network. Worked like a charm. Getting to the shared printer is a bit cranky -- the host computer says it's on-line while the remote computers say it's not -- but that's minor.