New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have made 5 attempts to upgrade my Vista system to Windows 7. My upgrade ALWAYS stops at the infamous 62% on the last step of the upgrade. My PC passes all the Microsoft tests for upgrade, and I have removed programs suggested during the process AND applied the Microsoft "solution" to that specific problem (the "patch" for the 62% lockup).

The last time I even removed ALL external peripheral equipment, so I simply have the bare bones computer to upgrade (an HP quad processor Media Center).

The only solution I can get from Microsoft is the patch (which I have tried three times). Of course, each attempt to upgrade ties up my PC for 5-6 hours, including the automatic return to the Vista operating system.

Any suggestions? I'm out of ideas.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing I can recommend is back up your data, and do a clean install. Where are you starting the upgrade from? After windows has loaded, or are you booting from the DVD?
    daze
    Because Bypasses have got to be built that's why.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    An upgrade install disk should give you the option of going for a clean install.

Despite the attraction of (apparently) finding all your exisiting material automatically in the same place, it often is that case that the new OS works differently - in some way or other than the old. Win7 is quite a lot like Vista - but not completely......

Personally, I would also recommend backing up all your data & going for a clean install. Make a list of what you want to have on hand before hand. Use a third party backup solution rather than Vista's own backup. CobianBackup - which is Free - is one of your alternatives. Others can be found by searching the Lounge.

HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - I just did a full install, after I found Vista didn't want me to upgrade it. I backed up (as I always do) to my Clickfree 250Gb external drive, and installed.
    Now I find that Window 7 does not recognise my drive - nor my USB memory sticks! I can (usually) see the actual drive and stick when I go into my Computer (or whatever it's now called) and I can see soem files. But I can't open them or copy them - or do anything with them.
    After a lot of playing about, including buying Registry Booster, Driver Robot, etc., to help sort it. I know find that my Clickfree drive won't work on any PC - I have tried it on two different laptops.
    What is going on! Is it me?

Lounger
    Thanks
    A few questions:

Were both machines you tried the drive on running Windows 7?

What file systems are you running on all drives? (are they all NTFS/FAT or a mix?)

Have you upgraded your bios and motherboard drivers?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. David, I am starting the upgrade after Vista has booted, not from the DVD, but I'm willing to try that. The last thing I want to do is do a clean install, and would probably forego Windows 7 rather than doing that. I realize that's the best solution, but would I be able to recover (with Windows 7) all the programs from a backup (made from Vista), that I now have installed, or would I have to reload them all seperately?

Unkamunka, thanks for the suggestion on the third party backup program.

Again, I appreciate the suggestions and comments, but I'm especially disappointed that Microsoft doesn't have a solution for a problem they created with a product they sold that promised trouble free installation. Probably the worst part is the ribbing I'll take from my son who is an avid Mac user.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Haughey View Post
    Hi - I just did a full install, after I found Vista didn't want me to upgrade it. I backed up (as I always do) to my Clickfree 250Gb external drive, and installed.
    Now I find that Window 7 does not recognise my drive - nor my USB memory sticks! I can (usually) see the actual drive and stick when I go into my Computer (or whatever it's now called) and I can see some files. But I can't open them or copy them - or do anything with them.
    After a lot of playing about, including buying Registry Booster, Driver Robot, etc., to help sort it. I know find that my Clickfree drive won't work on any PC - I have tried it on two different laptops.
    What is going on! Is it me?
    Sounds like this may be the same problem as I'm having with my Amazon Kindle.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Upgrading Vista to Windows 7 - I found that performing a full install over my Vista install, without formatting the partition, left the old Vista folders available, so my data was still accessible. I didn't test trying to run programs directly from the old Programs directly, but my guess would be they would work, for the most part. The only issue there would be that the Start>All Programs list wouldn't include the old programs.
    @Issue w/Clickfree 250 GB external drive - Can you see it as a drive letter on any machine? If so, try opening a command prompt, then run "chkdsk volume: /r". If you can't see it as a drive letter, can you try a different USB cable to connect it?

Thanks
    Microsoft has provided a solution to the halting at 62% install. See (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/975253). Follow these steps, but only for the 62% problem:

1 - Restart the computer, this will roll your computer back to Windows Vista.

2 - Click Start, right-click Computer and select Properties from the menu.

3 - Select the Advanced tab and then click Environment Variables.

4 - Under System variables, click New.

5 - Type MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS in the Variable name field and IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll in the Variable value field.

6 - Click OK as needed to save all of your changes.

Once these steps are complete, you can again try your upgrade to Windows 7 and it should complete without getting stuck at 62%.

Hope this helps. This has apparently been a common problem.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The solution offered by Microsoft (MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS) does not solve the problem for me - and apparently - a great number of others. See Microsoft forum

As seen on the Microsoft forum referenced above, this appears to be a major problem, and one that Microsoft been unable to solve. Their "solution" works for very few of those experiencing the 62% problem, and Microsoft needs to put a major effort into solving this "bug." I''ve made 6 installation attempts now (glutton for punishment, I suppose), wasted countless hours of unusable computer time, and can't understand why Microsoft won't acknowledge this is a MAJOR bug, affecting countless numbers of users.

Again, thanks to you who have offered suggestions, but they simply don't work, and I appreciate your efforts. Certainly not your fault, but Microsoft's.

Thanks
    I did not read all replys so if this is a rehash, I'm sorry. Once you clean install (boot from Win 7 upgrade DVD) you will see an additional folder called windows.old which can be opened like any other folder. This contains all your Vista stuff. You can then drag and drop anything from this windows.old folder to your new OS including contacts, pics, favorites, documents data, etc. You will naturally have to reload all your programs, then drag your data from windows.old to wherever your programs store their data. After finishing with everything, just delete the windows.old folder. I hope this helps.
    Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy