New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I connect my home PCs (1 desktop, 2 laptops) in a Windows 7 Peer to Peer network, will I be able to operate a program on one pc from another pc? Does the Windows 7 version make a difference? I looked for a tutorial on this but found nothing. Thanks for any help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Have had no problem between an XP machine and a Win7 machine.

Make sure (as ever) that you have sharing enabled & that you've deleted the "Anyone" access - upgrading it to Authorised User at a minimum.

HTH
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hindman View Post
    If I connect my home PCs (1 desktop, 2 laptops) in a Windows 7 Peer to Peer network, will I be able to operate a program on one pc from another pc? Does the Windows 7 version make a difference? I looked for a tutorial on this but found nothing. Thanks for any help.
    John,

If you want to run software on another machine from within Windows 7 you'll need to have Professional or Ultimate versions. None of the Home versions have the ability to do the Remote Control.

Now, that said, I know that there is a freeware program called VNC (and a number of different implementations of it) that will supposedly allow even the Home versions to do a similar remote control but I've been spectacularly and stupidly unable to get it to work in my local area network.

I regularly use Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate (both 32 and 64 bit versions) to connect to each other and run software on other machines without any trouble using the built in Remote Control. In a wired LAN it's quite spectacular and you hardly remember you're not actually sitting at that other system's keyboard.