New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I connect my home PCs (1 desktop, 2 laptops) in a Windows 7 Peer to Peer network, will I be able to operate a program on one pc from another pc? Does the Windows 7 version make a difference? I looked for a tutorial on this but found nothing. Thanks for any help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Have had no problem between an XP machine and a Win7 machine.

Make sure (as ever) that you have sharing enabled & that you've deleted the "Anyone" access - upgrading it to Authorised User at a minimum.

HTH
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hindman View Post
    If I connect my home PCs (1 desktop, 2 laptops) in a Windows 7 Peer to Peer network, will I be able to operate a program on one pc from another pc? Does the Windows 7 version make a difference? I looked for a tutorial on this but found nothing. Thanks for any help.
    John,

If you want to run software on another machine from within Windows 7 you'll need to have Professional or Ultimate versions. None of the Home versions have the ability to do the Remote Control.

Now, that said, I know that there is a freeware program called VNC (and a number of different implementations of it) that will supposedly allow even the Home versions to do a similar remote control but I've been spectacularly and stupidly unable to get it to work in my local area network.

I regularly use Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate (both 32 and 64 bit versions) to connect to each other and run software on other machines without any trouble using the built in Remote Control. In a wired LAN it's quite spectacular and you hardly remember you're not actually sitting at that other system's keyboard.