New Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend had to buy a new laptop the day after Win 7 was released. The choices of OS were limited to a preinstalled Win 7 64bit Home Premium. She then bought a Win 7 Professional upgrade pack to be able to use XP Mode later discovering CPU did not support VM. She upgraded to Pro and activated. She has a couple of old programs that will run on Win 7 32bit but will not play nice on the 64bit version. Now finally, here is my questions.

a) If I take the computer back to its factory Home Premium 64 bit install, can I then use the Win 7 Pro upgrade disk to go to Pro 32 bit?
    b) Could I do a clean install from the upgrade disk using a Vista install disk as proof of upgrade?
    c) Will I then be able to activate the OS with Microsoft after the 64bit version has been activated? Same hardware, same number.

I realize all data and setting will be lost in the change.

Using a 64bit OS will be of no practical use to my friend as far as I can see. She has no 64bit apps and is not likely to get any. She will not be using anymore than 4GB [3.5 after video] of memory and does not use the laptop to multitask a lot of programs. On the other side there are old programs she would like to run.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A virtual environment could be created within Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. The virtual Operating System could be any version of Windows. If she has an older retail version of Windows XP that would work well.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ or www.vmware.com

Responses:
    a) If I take the computer back to its factory Home Premium 64 bit install, can I then use the Win 7 Pro upgrade disk to go to Pro 32 bit? No. You cannot downgrade from 64bit to 32 bit.
    b) Could I do a clean install from the upgrade disk using a Vista install disk as proof of upgrade? Yes but as per the EULA the 64bit Home Premium would no longer be licensed for future use.
    c) Will I then be able to activate the OS with Microsoft after the 64bit version has been activated? Same hardware, same number. You can activate any version you install on the PC except if you were to use the same key received with a Win 7. Once a Win 7 key is used and activated, that key is locked to either 32bit or 64bit.

Another option is to use the dual boot feather of Windows. But again, if the existing Win 7 Home Premium 64bit is used on the system as one boot option and the new Win 7 Pro 32 bith is used as the second boot option, the Win 7 Home Premium 64bit cannot be used as the operating system for the upgrade version. Another retail version of Windows would be needed to allow the upgrade path license.

Hope I didn't confuse you more.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Thorn View Post
    a) If I take the computer back to its factory Home Premium 64 bit install, can I then use the Win 7 Pro upgrade disk to go to Pro 32 bit? No. You cannot downgrade from 64bit to 32 bit.
    b) Could I do a clean install from the upgrade disk using a Vista install disk as proof of upgrade? Yes but as per the EULA the 64bit Home Premium would no longer be licensed for future use.
    c) Will I then be able to activate the OS with Microsoft after the 64bit version has been activated? Same hardware, same number. You can activate any version you install on the PC except if you were to use the same key received with a Win 7. Once a Win 7 key is used and activated, that key is locked to either 32bit or 64bit.
    There's what's possible, and what's legal. I will correct some inaccuracies in the reply about what's possible.

It's entirely possible to use the same license for both 32bit and 64bit. I just did that with a 3-pack license, upgrading 32bit XP Home to 32bit Win7 Home Premium, and then a 32bit XP Pro to 64bit Win 7 Home Premium. Both activated without problems.

While I haven't tried going from Win7 x64 to Win7 32bit, I did do the opposite (previous paragraph). So it's very likely that you can go from x64 to x86 (32 bit).

It's clear MS is making it very easy to install and use genuine Win7 regardless of what you might have had on your hardware at install time. Take advantage of their generosity and install Win7 the way you want....it will let you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary,

No need to apologize for length of a post as long as you're getting useful information in front of readers/responders.

It is my understanding that you can do the clean install of the 32 bit using ANY version of XP, Vista as the validating OS. Yes, you do loose data and so on but as long as you know the hardware is supported by the 32 bit version (and I'd bet it is) you are gold.

As I've read in many of the tech forums, you can actually start the install from the qualifying Windows OS and tell it you are doing the clean install and it will give you the options of formatting the drive and so on and it will set it's flags for the upgrade and it will NOT ask for the disc of the previous OS. Since you already have the Win 7 installed and validated, I believe that you will be able to do the "clean install" from that and will have to do the reactivation of the 32 bit version after its install. If it's only been validated once before, the 'reinstall' and activation should go just fine. All you'll have to do is put the Win 7 disc into the currently running Win 7 and select the correct options to do a custom installation and then pick the version you want to run (that you have the key for) and do thes installation.

Very worst case, if the activation does not pass via normal internet activation, you'll just call Microsoft and tell the rep you needed to downgrade it from the 64bit to the 32bit and run through the phone activation process (which is annoying but doable).

BTW, I have heard that Microsoft's activation will allow three activations of any given key against the same hardware hash within a 90 day time frame. I don't know if the 32bit and 64bit versions generate the hardware key identically or not.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice from everyone. Eric and Ralph I like your advice/solution although I may not get to it within the 90 day time frame. I will try to give Microsoft a call and check on their attitude to it all. Gary, I may have been confusing with my first post, but thanks for the reply. I have tried a Virtual Environment but decided that is not the way I want to go. After a lot of consideration, the best solution for me is to use a Windows 7 32 bit OS that we already own as a 64 bit, and a 32 bit version come, in the upgrade box. I donít want to run 2 OSís either in a virtual machine or as a dual boot, so the user doesnít have to reboot to find an address, for example. The solution is to run Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. My questions are solely about doing that and what is the best way to do it and where I stand with activation. I appreciate your input and suggestions but the 32 bit OS is the most user friendly solution. Thanks again for the answers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Furner View Post
    Thanks for the advice from everyone. Eric and Ralph I like your advice/solution although I may not get to it within the 90 day time frame. I will try to give Microsoft a call and check on their attitude to it all. Gary, I may have been confusing with my first post, but thanks for the reply. I have tried a Virtual Environment but decided that is not the way I want to go. After a lot of consideration, the best solution for me is to use a Windows 7 32 bit OS that we already own as a 64 bit, and a 32 bit version come, in the upgrade box. I donít want to run 2 OSís either in a virtual machine or as a dual boot, so the user doesnít have to reboot to find an address, for example. The solution is to run Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. My questions are solely about doing that and what is the best way to do it and where I stand with activation. I appreciate your input and suggestions but the 32 bit OS is the most user friendly solution. Thanks again for the answers.
    Guy,

When I mentioned the 90 day window, it was so that you COULD probably do it just fine within the 90 days as long as it hadn't been activated more than three times in that time frame. I believe that beyond 90 days, it has reset the counter so that you can reinstall and reactivate (on that same hardware hash) without any problems.

Good luck and hope jumping back to the 32 bit one goes smoothly for you. I'm considering doing the same on one of my machines that doesn't have more than 4gigabytes of RAM in it because of the issues with a few programs simply not being able to install and run in the 64 bit environment.

Eric

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dorn View Post
    Very worst case, if the activation does not pass via normal internet activation, you'll just call Microsoft and tell the rep you needed to downgrade it from the 64bit to the 32bit and run through the phone activation process (which is annoying but doable).

BTW, I have heard that Microsoft's activation will allow three activations of any given key against the same hardware hash within a 90 day time frame. I don't know if the 32bit and 64bit versions generate the hardware key identically or not.
    I've had to do this with XP on occasion. For those times, you get sent to offshore (usually Indian) telephone verifiers who are clearly trained to be polite and just go through a script. They're not really gatekeepers trying to keep you from doing what you want to do: reinstall the same legal OS. So like Eric says, try the reinstall, it will probably go fine, and don't really worry about the 90 days...at worst you'll have to talk to some phone help for a few minutes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Furner View Post
    Thanks for the advice from everyone. Eric and Ralph I like your advice/solution although I may not get to it within the 90 day time frame. I will try to give Microsoft a call and check on their attitude to it all. Gary, I may have been confusing with my first post, but thanks for the reply. I have tried a Virtual Environment but decided that is not the way I want to go. After a lot of consideration, the best solution for me is to use a Windows 7 32 bit OS that we already own as a 64 bit, and a 32 bit version come, in the upgrade box. I don't want to run 2 OS's either in a virtual machine or as a dual boot, so the user doesn't have to reboot to find an address, for example. The solution is to run Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. My questions are solely about doing that and what is the best way to do it and where I stand with activation. I appreciate your input and suggestions but the 32 bit OS is the most user friendly solution. Thanks again for the answers.
    Don't forget the changing the "bitness" (i.e. 32-bit -> 64-bit or 64-bit -> 32-bit) of the OS requires a clean install.

Joe