Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Customer recently got a new computer (before the release of Win 7).

    Now when she uses Jasc Paintshop Pro (older version) and saves a picture the extension is .JPG.

    All the coding on her web pages has the extension .jpg.

    This is a problem. When she replaces an image with the .JPG extension:
    a) It doesn't replace the existing file on the server
    b) It doesn't show up on the page because of the difference between .JPG vs .jpg

    This is not a web page coding problem nor a server problem. It is a problem created by Vista. Everything worked just fine before she got the new computer.

    So, the question is
    How do I tell a novice (on the other side of the country) how to make Vista save her pictures with .jpg instead of .JPG?

    I already explained the right click method to change the file name.

    We both have looked for a solution on the Net. All we can find is the right click method or changing the file association.
    Basic Computer Information - Computer Basics for Website Owners
    HTML Basic Tutor- Learn HTML Basics

  2. #2
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Vienna, Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,009
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a user of PaintShopPro 5 (1998), this hasn't happened to me on Vista - or on Win7.

    What you can use is a freeware renaming utility that can handle the renaming of extensions in bulk. As Windows is case-insensitive (unlike the webServer), this will have to be a two-step process: first renaming the file, say, .jpeg & then jpg........

    Personally, I use the renaming facility built into FreeCommander which lets you rename entire folders at a time. (FreeCommander is a cost-free Windows Explorer replacement.) You can do a Google search on renaming files and come up with various alternatives.
    Gre

  3. #3
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Swanzey, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    1,707
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S E View Post
    How do I tell a novice (on the other side of the country) how to make Vista save her pictures with .jpg instead of .JPG?
    I too have never had that problem with Vista nor Windows 7. However, there is a very easy solution, at least one which will work for now until the actual reason why the extension is changed allegedly by MS Vista.

    When she saves her image, simply use the "File/Save as" option. In the Save dialog box she can change or type in .jpg for the file name. That should "stick".
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thank you both for your replies.

    unkamunka,
    Where in the old version of PSP can you permanently change the extensions used. There doesn't seem to be a spot in PSP Ultimate (what I have) to do this.

    Quote Originally Posted by unkamunka View Post
    As a user of PaintShopPro 5 (1998), this hasn't happened to me on Vista - or on Win7.

    What you can use is a freeware renaming utility that can handle the renaming of extensions in bulk. As Windows is case-insensitive (unlike the webServer), this will have to be a two-step process: first renaming the file, say, .jpeg & then jpg........

    Personally, I use the renaming facility built into FreeCommander which lets you rename entire folders at a time. (FreeCommander is a cost-free Windows Explorer replacement.) You can do a Google search on renaming files and come up with various alternatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I too have never had that problem with Vista nor Windows 7. However, there is a very easy solution, at least one which will work for now until the actual reason why the extension is changed allegedly by MS Vista.

    When she saves her image, simply use the "File/Save as" option. In the Save dialog box she can change or type in .jpg for the file name. That should "stick".
    Pilgrim,
    I believe she tried this.

    She replied once that it just added an extra extension. imagename.jpg.JPG

    Ok, just thought of this idea:
    Do you think if I get her to turn off "hide extensions Windows knows" that will help? At least with Pilgrim's suggestion?
    Basic Computer Information - Computer Basics for Website Owners
    HTML Basic Tutor- Learn HTML Basics

  5. #5
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Vienna, Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,009
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S E View Post
    ....unkamunka,
    Where in the old version of PSP can you permanently change the extensions used.....
    We seem to be at cross-purposes. In PSP5, the extension is always saved in lower case. It seemed to me that your client must have been using a pre-Win95 version......
    Gre

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Swanzey, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    1,707
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S E View Post
    Ok, just thought of this idea:
    Do you think if I get her to turn off "hide extensions Windows knows" that will help? At least with Pilgrim's suggestion?
    Regardless whether it fixes the current problem or not, you should have her uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types". This is one of the very first things I do on my own systems and on all my client systems.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

  7. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Regardless whether it fixes the current problem or not, you should have her uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types". This is one of the very first things I do on my own systems and on all my client systems.
    Ok, I'll ask her to do this in the meantime. I have this switched off too.
    Basic Computer Information - Computer Basics for Website Owners
    HTML Basic Tutor- Learn HTML Basics

  8. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree everyone should show extensions - it is crazy not to, thanks, MS.

    My PSP 7 needs me to change the file type to .jpg from psp, which saves lower case for the extension for me on XP SP3, Check the keyboard for cAPS lOCK?
    My older PSP disks are long gone, so perhaps the version of PSP is the issue otherwise?
    I have a new laptop with Vista, but I don't have anything on it yet except an Office 2010 beta.

    Sorry, but hope this helps.
    Grins,

    Rob M
    "Running" Windows since 1986

  9. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Found out she is using PSP 8 if that makes any difference??? Any bugs with that version?

    Do you think I should ask in Graphics? instead of annoying you guys.
    Basic Computer Information - Computer Basics for Website Owners
    HTML Basic Tutor- Learn HTML Basics

  10. #10
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Vienna, Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,009
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If she is using PSP8, then it seems you have to go back and look at the *actual* problem - now you know that:
    • file extensions are automatically saved in lower case
    • your client can now see the *actual* file extension in Windows Explorer
    As requested this thread has been moved over to the Graphics Forum
    Gre

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •