New Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend of mine routinely has his browser open most of the day. He likes Firefox but has problems with it locking up because as it uses memory it won't release it back to the system. I've heard the same complaint from others off and on ever since version 3.0 was released. Does anybody know anything about this problem, and is there a fix if it is a legit problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There's several things that can affect FF memory usage. There's an article here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hull View Post
    A friend of mine routinely has his browser open most of the day. He likes Firefox but has problems with it locking up because as it uses memory it won't release it back to the system. I've heard the same complaint from others off and on ever since version 3.0 was released. Does anybody know anything about this problem, and is there a fix if it is a legit problem?
    Further Dave's message, it has been well documented in the past here in the Lounge of users of Firefox who utilise a large number of add-ons which can either be non-compatible and/or conflict with others loaded. It maybe prudent to deactivate some of them.

The other thing is your buddy may be downloading large amounts of documents and it is just hogging memory and maybe worth clearing out the cache
    Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    John,

I also noticed last week that Firefox 3.5 was using more than 1GB of RAM. This turned out to be related to the Adobe Flash player v9.2 (connecting to some streaming music service).
    In the Windows task Manager, in the Processes tab, enable the column "Memory - Working Set".
    This will show you how much memory is in use by Firefox.
    This can easily be checked by opening an new tab for Google, and closing all other tabs.
    If the memory usage drops dramatically, you can be certain that the problem is plugin related, and not Firefox itself.

hope this helps,
    - Eelco

*** Puzzle me! ***

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eelco Ligtvoet View Post
    In the Windows task Manager, in the Processes tab, enable the column "Memory - Working Set".
    Is "working set" a term used in Vista and/or Windows 7? In XP, I don't see that term.

[attachment=86890:WinXP-TaskManager-Processes-Columns.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hull View Post
    AFOM recovers Memory Leakage within a running instance of the Firefox browser application.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11922

I've had it for a few weeks. At first it reduced Firefox memory usage more than 50%.
    Lately I don't see that big a difference [it's easy to enable/disable under the FF TOOLS tab]. Maybe I have to run FF without AFOM for a long time to see greater memory usage

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottfried M View Post
    AFOM recovers Memory Leakage within a running instance of the Firefox browser application.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11922

I've had it for a few weeks. At first it reduced Firefox memory usage more than 50%.
    Lately I don't see that big a difference [it's easy to enable/disable under the FF TOOLS tab]. Maybe I have to run FF without AFOM for a long time to see greater memory usage
    Your link points to the AFOM 2.0 and on the author's homepage there is a statement that "Memory Fox" replaces AFOM 2.0.

Since I'm not familiar with the addon, would you mind taking a look here to see if I've understood the grammar?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Your link points to the AFOM 2.0 and on the author's homepage there is a statement that "Memory Fox" replaces AFOM 2.0.

Since I'm not familiar with the addon, would you mind taking a look here to see if I've understood the grammar?

I have the AFOM 2.0 add-on installed and was unaware that it has been replaced by Memory Fox.
    For a new installation I would now go with Memory Fox

Thank you for the heads up!

PS: I removed AFOM 2.0 and installed Memory Fox and it works. It reduced memory usage by half [from 180 to 90k with 12 tabs open] I left the default settings alone as I do not understand them yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Is "working set" a term used in Vista and/or Windows 7? In XP, I don't see that term.
    Yes. Looks like they have expanded the choices in Win 7, perhaps even in Vista.

[attachment=87137:Capture.PNG]
    Regards,
    PaulB