New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate companies who sell their products and then do not give any hope of decent technical support! Rant over!

Hi, I'm Paul C, from Liverpool (UK, not Texas), first post, and a little problem with a business card reader being used in a corporate enviroment

My MD wanted a business card reader that would scan in business cards and then insert them into his outlook contacts.

No problem, I thought, we could buy one little portable one and it could be shared around any other users who wanted to use it - agreed by the MD

I then went out and looked, and looked and looked, and eventually found two, one unknown make and was a bit lacking in what it could actually do and the Kensington PocketScan - which looked as tho it did all we wanted it to.

Got it delivered and tested it on my admin login - no problem, works a treat, just what the MD wanted.

Before I go any further, let me mention all users in the company log onto their pc's as locked down users and not admins - this has cut down lots of problems with unwanted software, less malware and keeping a corporate standard across all offices.

Went to MD's laptop, installed software with the runas option, connected the said pocketscan, and tried to use under the MD's login - error - product not registered

Hmm, ok, maybe I should run it first as an admin, did so, worked a treat, went back to user login, product not registered.

OK, we have ways and means to bypass that, we have an app whereas we can easily setup progs to run as an admin on the users login, no dice this time, the saved business cards will only go into the database in the admins folders and I could not get it to redirect to the users login - strike 1 to kensington.

2nd option, I can give permissions to the app folder and registry entries for the app so the user has higher rights on them - strike two to Kensington

3rd option - lets call Kensington tech support - sure they would have had this problem - called by phone - told them the problem and efforts to resolve - kensington's tech answer was - "The PocketScan only runs under an Admin login - sorry - bye"! <gobsmacked> strike three to Kensington.

Now I have used a few utils to see what, where why and when the install package places it's new software in folders / files and registry entries - and have applied the permissions for users to these, but regardless of what I have tried - I get the same error - Product not registered.

So my cry for help - anyone else seen this and know any other way around it?

rgds

Paul C
    Rgds

Paul C

If you don&#39;t have a sense of humor, you probably don&#39;t have any sense at all!

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

HaHaHa - 10 hours after registering and I just realised I had my corporate work head on while I registered as I did my work style Surname Firstname way of entering my name - doh!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved my own problem after having a brainwave!

Realising that changing the permissions after the install as an admin made no difference to accessing the registration of the product to work under th euser login, I temporarily promoted the user to an admin on their pc, installed a fresh copy of the software and used once, then demoted the user back to a user on their pc and tried again - it worked with out any errors

<pats myself on back>

Apart from this little inconvenience - this is a great product and would recommend it!
    Rgds

Paul C

If you don&#39;t have a sense of humor, you probably don&#39;t have any sense at all!

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

HaHaHa - 10 hours after registering and I just realised I had my corporate work head on while I registered as I did my work style Surname Firstname way of entering my name - doh!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing the solution, I have seen this work for other applications too.