2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running XP Pro SP3. After 2 years it became a bit clunky so I did a clean reinstall 2 months ago and everything is now running like new, However a peculiar problem has surfaced which needs some experts attention.

I use the Classic Start Menu and Settings/Taskbar and Start Menu works normally. However if I click on Settings/Control Panel, Network Connections or Printers & Faxes I receive the following message.

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Options control panel."

I then receive a message that Explorer has had to close and then that Dr. Watson debugger has had to close and then I find that the system has locked up and have to perform a cold reboot.

I have fortunately discovered a work around in that I can go into the Properties of the Start Menu and customize these submenus to expand then all is well. Thinking that something might have been corrupted I also imaged my disk (Acronis) and then did a Repair Installation and this also returned the Settings item to normal behaviour. However, this also corrupted Firefox so that it could not be loaded from any other application so I was forced to Restore my image.

I am now managing very well with the expanded menus and over several months no other application or Windows program has produced any unusual activity. I would be interested to hear if anyone can explain how Windows programs lose their association with, I presume, Windows Explorer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Arntsen View Post
    I am now managing very well with the expanded menus and over several months no other application or Windows program has produced any unusual activity. I would be interested to hear if anyone can explain how Windows programs lose their association with, I presume, Windows Explorer.

Just my opinion I think the chances of someone finding the exact cause of this is pretty slim. It sounds to me like it's probably related to a corrupt registry...probably that reinstall you did. I think I'd try it again...the system still has problems if you had to find a work around to get it to "work properly".
    Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A simple check you could try is to create a new user which will generate a new profile and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you can re-create a fresh profile for the problem user to solve the problem.
    Cheers from Mike

Lounger
    Thanks
    Here www.wilsonmar.com/1wincpl.htm gives a list of the .cpl files which should bring up the various applets, and also a relevant registry key.

You could check it through - but maybe it had lost the .cpl association - which can happen in various ways, including malware.

Plus - if you start Explorer, does Control Panel appear in the Folders list? - if you click the + to show the sub-folders - what happens on the sub-folders if you right-click and try Explore - and if you try Open?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    General tip on solving problems:

The wonderful tools from sysinternals, may help - by monitoring registry activity (regmon), and file activity (filemon), you may be able to see a "not found" condition showing up, and be able to determine what is being tried.

Ward Christensen
    Inventor of Xmodem & (W/Randy Suess) BBSs