New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an email address in the form:

charity.sales@xxx.net

No matter what I do I cannot stop this being placed in my junk mail folder.

Things I have tried:

1) Placing @xxx.net and or charity.sales@xxx.net in the Safe Recipients list.

2) Clearing the Safe Senders and Blocked Senders list.

This is being used with POP.

Is there something inherently wrong with the format of the address that causes the unseen code (i.e. from Microsoft) to reject?

Any pointers appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi-

This page outlines some additional options for managing junk mail within Outlook 2003. It looks like the "Safe Recipients" list might actually be helpful if this is an e-mail that is not directly addressed to you. (which sounds counterintuitive to me, but I might be misunderstanding or misreading something...)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

AJ

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks AJ. Yes it does sound counter intuitive, but I do some work for a charity who own xxx.net. Any specific mail originally sent to the charity as either charity.sales@xxx.net or my.name@xxx.net is redirected to me. Interestingly the my.name@xxx.net emails are ending up in my Inbox, just as I want, but not the charity.sales form of the address.

Clearly I could just put up with it and search my junk email folder on a regular basis, but this presupposes that this is only an issue with my installation. We are about to embark on some on-line selling and I don't want to end up inadvertently using an email address, that for what ever reason has a large chance of ending up in other peoples junk folder. BC

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it is the two words Charity and Sales that are sending things to the Junk folder. If you were to may a Contact using this email address and also add to the SAFE list, it should get through.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you might be on to something here.

I tried adding charity.sales@xxx.net to my contacts and also the safe list. No change, email still goes in the junk folder.
    I then tried to send an email to charity.sales@mydomain.com, and this also ended up in the junk mail folder.(i would normally expect anything@mydomain.com to pass into my inbox)

So "charity.sales" looks like a no no. But how is one supposed to know in advance? I appreciate the workings of the filter cannot be published, but legitimate addresses should be provable. BC

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tadder View Post
    So "charity.sales" looks like a no no. But how is one supposed to know in advance? I appreciate the workings of the filter cannot be published, but legitimate addresses should be provable. BC
    Not sure of the order that Outlook process email, but have you tried to setup a rule that if the recipient is charity.sales@xxx.net move it to the inbox?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Setting up a rule to move emails addressed to charity.sales@xxx.net results in a copy in both the junk folder and the folder moved to. All of which is liveable with if you are aware of the problem. My worry is that if we use this address others will find that it invariably end up in their junk folder.

I think I am going to have to abandon the "charity.sales" address, but does anyone know where I can check what is acceptable to the Outlook Junk email filter?

BC

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tadder View Post
    Setting up a rule to move emails addressed to charity.sales@xxx.net results in a copy in both the junk folder and the folder moved to. All of which is liveable with if you are aware of the problem. My worry is that if we use this address others will find that it invariably end up in their junk folder.

I think I am going to have to abandon the "charity.sales" address, but does anyone know where I can check what is acceptable to the Outlook Junk email filter?
    Microsoft is not going to disclose how the junk filter works. That would just lead to mountains of spam getting through it.

Have you looked at the mail headers to see what the actual sender and recipient are as opposed to what is displayed?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To cut a long story short, I have finally sorted the problem. I have around 60 rules built up over many years. Buried near the bottom was a rule to move all emails with addresses containing "sales" to the junk email folder. I was clearly once receiving a lot of spam containing this magic word that I didn't want, but over time had forgotten it was there :-(.

Lesson learnt, but will admit to some egg on my face. Still, on the positive side, it has forced me to clean up both my rules and junk email options; Outlook now loading a lot faster.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

BC