New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently was sent a presentation by a friend. It's one of a series of training files prepared in PowerPoint 2003. The files will open in PowerPoint 2003 and in Open Office but not in PowerPoint 2007. Attempts by PowerPoint 2007 result in long hang times and several error messages such as "Pres Esc to cancel". Up to now I've had no problem opening other ppt files with PowerPoint 2007. I won't upload one of the files here since they're ~14 MB and are proprietary.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Press Esc to cancel isn't really an error message it just means "This may take a while"

Do they open eventually if you leave them?
    Are there lots of old style msgraphs?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Doug
    Open up a New Powerpoint presentation

1) Click New Slide in the Home tab
    2) Click Reuse Slide
    3) Select your suspect file
    4) Insert it into the new presentation.

Let it run and hopefully any conversion will happen during the insert action.

Not a fix but a work around
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jezza, your workaround works but i't painfully slow. It took me over 10 minutes to get the first 3 of 186 slides.

Thanks,
    Doug

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Blooming heck, is it graphic intensive or are there a lot of macros in there?
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I mentioned, it''s not my file; I'm trying to help someone else so I didn't go through all 186 slides. I saw lots of graphics but no animation, sound or macros. Oddly, the file opens normally and immediately in PPT 2003 - no delay, no errors and no need for workarounds.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Doug, it is not terribly uncommon for V03 files to take their sweet time to load in V07. The key is what happens after that. Don't just save it; make sure you save it as a .pptx file, V07's native format. That forces a rewrite in terms that V07 better understands. After that, the file should open more promptly. If it doesn't, I want to see this file!
    Rick Altman
    Author, "Why Most PowerPoint Presentations Suck...and how you can make them better"
    --------------------------------------------------
    www.BetterPresenting.com
    Pleasanton CA