New Lounger
    Thanks
    I currently use Outlook Express (OE). I heard that Windows 7 doesn't come with OE and that if I do a clean install with Windows 7 that I will lose OE. Is any of this true?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook Express has been discontinued by Microsoft. The successor to Outlook Express is Windows Live Mail

New Lounger
    Thanks
    However with Windows Live Mail your emails can carry advertising to bring revenue to Microsoft but you will not be able to use scripting or any form of decent stationery as Windows Live Mail is a web based system. Hotmail by another name. Stick with Outlook Express or Windows Mail unless you are in an office environment and only want to send pure text emails.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hotmail by another name. Stick with Outlook Express or Windows Mail unless you are in an office environment and only want to send pure text emails.
    It is NOT HotMail by another name, and if one is running Windows 7, then Outlook Express and Windows Mail will not be there. One MUST install a third party email program, since NONE come with Windows 7.

I do have a Windows Live Mail running on one machine and do NOT have these issues you speak of.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Live mail doesn't come with with Windows 7. After installing Windows 7 you just type essentials in the search box, (after clicking on the Start button) and you will see a link that says "Go online to get Windows Live Essentials". When you click on that link you can download a host of free apps form Microsoft's website... one of which is Windows Live Mail, which is a desktop application. I've got it configured with five different email accounts. I've been running Windows 7 for several months as a tester and purchased the final version in October. There may be a web app as well with the same name but this downloaded one is definitely a desktop version.

Attached is a screen shot of what the Windows Live Essentials folder of apps look like after downloaded and installed. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

ktoy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Swift View Post
    However with Windows Live Mail your emails can carry advertising to bring revenue to Microsoft but you will not be able to use scripting or any form of decent stationery as Windows Live Mail is a web based system. Hotmail by another name. Stick with Outlook Express or Windows Mail unless you are in an office environment and only want to send pure text emails.
    The service may be call Live Mail and you may access it with a browser if you choose to but WLM is a client program that gets installed on your PC.

See Mail - Windows Live for more information.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are none so blind as those that will not see. If you are the sort of person that finds Hotmail suits all your needs then you will be over the moon with WLM. However both I and many others from the stationery newsgroup have experimented for some time with WLM and although it is just possible (if you are an expert) to send some stationery with WLM, no user of WLM coiuld possibly view it. To view stationery correctly it is essential to have VB scripting and all the dozens of filters that originally came with Windows 98 installed. Obviously with web based email systems like Hotmail and Windows Live Mail, it makes no difference what you have installed on your personal machine.
    To anybody that has retained O/E I would be happy to send you examples of stationery so you know what you are missing. Sadly if you believe that HTML and scripting is dangerous in the extreme as some misguided so-called experts would have you believe, (no offence Woody) then you are better off sticking to plain old boring text emails.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 7 on my laptop and would like to use Outlook Express instead of Windows Live Mail. Is there any way I could install OE and still keep the latest version of IE, and is there any place I can get OE in order to install it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by w d h View Post
    I have Windows 7 on my laptop and would like to use Outlook Express instead of Windows Live Mail. Is there any way I could install OE and still keep the latest version of IE, and is there any place I can get OE in order to install it?
    The only way to use OE, is if you have Win7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate AND your PC is capable of running Windows XP Mode.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is possible to run the Vista successor to Outlook Express (which was called Windows Mail) on Windows 7, but you need a functioning Vista machine from which to copy the fully functional Windows Mail. (This is NOT Windows Live Mail). There is a minor setup procedure which you can Google on the web. I have been using Windows Mail (the outlook express successor from Vista) on my Win 7 machine since I installed Win 7.
    David Fishman
    CIO/CTO
    AZ Block 2000
    Tucson, AZ 85743