New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently upgraded my desktop computer, (DELL XPS-410), from VISTA HOME PREMIUM, to 7 HOME PREMIUM.
    All went well, however some drivers had to be updated, and then I was back in business.

After several weeks, the speaker Icon on the system tray disappeared. (This is something that randomly would happen with XP, but never happened with VISTA)

This is not a real big deal, since one can get to the control from Sound in Control panel, but it is an inconvenience.
    (Sometimes after a reboot, it is there, and sometimes it's not.)

Has anyone else out there experienced this issue, and found a resolution to it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One presumes you've got the tick in the box that says "show icon on taskbar"? Access that by going to control panel and then the multimedia / sound / volume icon and looking for it in there.

The only other thing I can think of is that your sound drivers are missing / damaged / corrupt in some way and windows doesn't know it has sound so won't put the icon there. May be worth checking under your drivers section.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Lloyd ,

this certainly can be an annoying issue and one I've seen a few times myself!

Try the steps below and see if it helps.

1. Right click on the taskbar and select Properties.

2. Next you will see an option under the taskbar tab at the top that says Notification area...click Customize

3. Scroll the list of icons until you find the one labeled Volume and then select Show icon and notifications from the drop down list on the right. ( You can also customize many other icons here as well)

4. Once selected then click ok and you should now see the volume icon in the system tray area.

That should do it!