Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brian Livingston
    Tony Johnston has been working on image uploads today, but I'm in Las Vegas and don't know whether he was looking at the same issue.

Our software platform, Invision Power Board, supports the following function:

Valid postable image extensions
    Defines which images are allowed in [img][/img] tags.
    Separate with comma (gif,jpeg,jpg,png)

PNG is a valid image extension and has been for months or years, as far as I know.

Invision does not allow "dynamic images," which are defined as "links to images that appear to be dynamic URLs." This is sometimes known as bandwidth theft, in which an image is not being served from the Lounge server but from some other site, which may or may not approve of being used in this way. I'm sure no one is trying to steal bandwidth, but there certainly could be an issue if an image is linked to rather than uploaded and then inserted into a post.

In the Attachments section of the Full Editor, use the Browse button to browse to a file, click the Upload file button, and then click Add to Post.

I don't know whether this is the problem you are reporting, but there is no difference between Moderators and Members in uploading images. I'm not sure how the errors are being caused. I uploaded a PNG file while composing this reply. I added it to the post and the image displayed properly. (I deleted the image, which was unrelated to this subject, before posting.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    Our software platform, Invision Power Board, supports the following function:

Valid postable image extensions
    Defines which images are allowed in [img][/img] tags.
    Separate with comma (gif,jpeg,jpg,png)

PNG is a valid image extension and has been for months or years, as far as I know.

Invision does not allow "dynamic images," which are defined as "links to images that appear to be dynamic URLs."
    Brian, I have no problem uploading a .PNG file (such as the attached .PNG), but was not permitted to link to a Lounge image, specifically the insert image icon on the top of the Lounge Message Compose Window. (I wanted to link to it to explain to a user how to use it, though in retrospect that may not have been applicable for this user.) The code I was using is:

Code:
    The Lounge error message is "You are not allowed to upload images with that file extension." in pink, no less.

The issue is specifically linking to .PNG files, not uploading them. I'd like to at least be able to link to PNG's within the Lounge in order to show Loungers which icons to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7±DS

Thanks
    There is also something rather odd in the way png images are displayed - assuming it's not just me.

Two identical profile images, as shown in Windows Explorer:

[attachment=87619:BlueExp.jpg]

But when uploaded here:

[attachment=87620:jpg.jpg][attachment=87621ng.jpg]

(jpg on the left : png on the right)

I assume I am not the only one to see the image on the right has something of a purplish hue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    ... I assume I am not the only one to see the image on the right has something of a purplish hue?
    The png attachment shows as a definite purple on my monitor.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This problem is fixed. The listing of acceptable file types was supposed to be comma separated, but we had it separated by comma-space.

The bandwidth theft issue Brian mentions above is still effective. But there is no longer a problem linking to images that we are already hosting on our server.

Please let me know if you notice any problems.

Thanks,
    Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12