Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed a Belkin Wireless N+ Router (F5D8235-4) for my brother. This supports USB storage which can be shared on the network. I attached a WD 1TB My Book external drive. It is not NAS, as it requires the Belkin Storage Manager software which runs on the laptop (Vista) and the drive appears as Z:, but it is not accessible as a UNC path. I need to find basic backup software that will work with this combination of hardware/software.

Software I've tried so far (but doesn't work):
    Windows Backup (included with Vista)
    Paragon
    Enhanced Windows Backup

I just need backup software with the following features: 1) Can run unattended at a scheduled time; 2) Only need to backup "user" folder (and everything in it, except cache files).

Any recommendations?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The blurb on the web suggests you can connect to the USB drive using the IP address of the router.
    Open Windows explorer and type this: \\192.168.0.1
    Then press Enter.
    The numbers I have used may not work, you need to enter the correct IP address of the router.
    If this works you should be able to map a drive to the hard disk and then use any of the free backup solutions.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My backup software does not see the mapping that storage manager does. The manual says that instead of using the storage manager, you can map the drive under windows.Right click the computer icon and choose map a network drive. Map it to \\[ip address or outer\[name of drive]. However, I'm running windows 7. When i try to map the drive, I am asked for my network password. Not the homegroup password, since the router is not running windows 7. I don't have a network password and cannot get passed that screen. Does anyone have a solution?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My backup software does not see the mapping that storage manager does. The manual says that instead of using the storage manager, you can map the drive under windows.Right click the computer icon and choose map a network drive. Map it to \\[ip address or outer\[name of drive]. However, I'm running windows 7. When i try to map the drive, I am asked for my network password. Not the homegroup password, since the router is not running windows 7. I don't have a network password and cannot get passed that screen. Does anyone have a solution?

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a free backup software with a quite good reputation. It may work for you.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a free backup software with a quite good reputation. It may work for you.

Lounger
    Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast