Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing Win 7 I plugged my Amazon Kindle in for the first time. It installed but when I opened the removable "disk" it said it was totally empty. There are supposed to be folders predefined. After unplugging it every subsequent attempt results in the drive not being displayed. I used the Device Manager to delete the Amazon Kindle drive from the Disk drives list and now it won't reinstall when I plug it in. I get a sound when plugging it in and unplugging it. The Safely Remove Hardware applet lists "Eject Amazon Kindle" but does not list a drive.

What can I try to get this working?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have similar problem with HP Pocket Drive. I regularly get USB device not recognized error. If I reboot, the Pocket Drive is recognized. Have tried uninstalling all USB controllers and rebooting but that has not cured the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Contacted Hp Support and went through the "routine". The short story for me may be the number of USB devices I have plugged-in. So am trying Pocket Drive with only 2 other devices as a test. Will post results in a day or two.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with an Iogear 1TB USB drive. Windows loaded the drivers and all was fine. I accessed the drive and was working along when a notification popped up and said the drive failed to install correctly. I move the drive to an XP machine and it worked just fine. What was interesting was I had a second Iogear drive - 320 GB attached to the Windows 7 machine and it has had no problems. I have updated the motherboard BIOS, usb drivers, and chipset drivers for Windows 7. I'm thinking this could be a Win 7 glitch. Anyone have any suggestions??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same problem.
    Various types of USB external drive, various sizes all hang up caclulating space remaining when copying and make Windows explorer go "not responding". Also make system unstable with not responding issues on Windows Explorer and others.

W7 Ultimate 64 bit.
    Dell XPS 730X
    6GB Ram
    300GB 10K RPM Velociraptor boot drive.
    Clean W7 Install.

Had same issues in Vista 64 Ultimate.
    Can't they ever fix this issue!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So... Does anyone have a USB drive that works properly with Windows 7? Is this a general error?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, I have several that works on XP, Vista and Windows 7 machines, some are even many years old. I have a 256 Meg that works, and they have not been in production for some time.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Yes, I have several that works on XP, Vista and Windows 7 machines, some are even many years old. I have a 256 Meg that works, and they have not been in production for some time.
    It works every time? It works when you plug it in after booting? Can you see its contents in Explorer?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, to all above.

But I normally do NOT boot up with any thumb drives in.

Thanks
    I also have no problems seeing USB drives in Windows 7, both external hard disk drives and Flash drives. One thing you might want to do is open the Folder Options applet in Control Panel, click on the view tab, and uncheck "Hide empty drives in the computer folder". I do note that my DVD drive doesn't display in windows Explorer unless there is a disk in it even though the preceeding option is unchecked.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Witalka View Post
    I also have no problems seeing USB drives in Windows 7, both external hard disk drives and Flash drives. One thing you might want to do is open the Folder Options applet in Control Panel, click on the view tab, and uncheck "Hide empty drives in the computer folder". I do note that my DVD drive doesn't display in windows Explorer unless there is a disk in it even though the preceeding option is unchecked.

Jerry
    It displays but takes minutes to do so. Its contents show as empty and I can't copy anything to it though.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had no problems either with any usb devices and I have several different kinds of external drives (all home created) and flash drives. None of my external drives draw power from the usb cable, they all have their own power supplies if that might make a difference. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and have installed no motherboard drivers, just what came with Win7 Home Premium.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If your USB drive has a extra "Power" connector, you might try that. I have had one long time ago I need the extra power one one certain computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay I MAY have stumbled on a fix or help for USB drives. I went to the power options > edit plan settings and clicked on the "change advanced power settings". In that box I scrolled down to USB settings, expand the + and select USB selective suspend settings. I disables the plugged in setting and this seems to have helped. So far so good - no issues with dropped connections.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    Have similar problem with HP Pocket Drive. I regularly get USB device not recognized error. If I reboot, the Pocket Drive is recognized. Have tried uninstalling all USB controllers and rebooting but that has not cured the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Contacted Hp Support and went through the "routine". The short story for me may be the number of USB devices I have plugged-in. So am trying Pocket Drive with only 2 other devices as a test. Will post results in a day or two.
    Even with only 2 USB devices attached my Pocket Drive lost its connection. On a hunch, I moved the printer cable attached to a front USB port to another port and voila! the Pocket Drive has remained connected for several days now. Don't ask me why!!!!!!!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Had this problem with a 1Tb Maxtor hard drive. Totally unpredictable when it would be seen or not seen by Windows. Elsewhere I've seen it suggested this is a known problem with Maxtor and/or it is an nvidia driver problem.

In the end this problem was so pervasive I installed an extra internal 1Tb drive which is fine. Not ideal but there comes a time when several hours of plugging/unplugging/checking drivers etc is more costly in time than getting a replacement drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast