New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I have upgraded my Acer Netbook from Windows Vista Home Edition SP2 to Windows 7 Home Edition.

Everything works fine, and ALL my current applications are in full working order, including wireless connectivity, networking etc.

My problem is .... any new program installation fails at the last hurdle and cancels the install.

I have closed down UAC, Firewalls, Anti Virus and Anti Malware programs to no avail.

Any ideas out there please before I restore my netbook back to Vista ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you mean "the last hurdle"? Do you get an error code?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Try right-clicking the setup.exe file and choosing "run as administrator".

Thanks
    Sometimes DEP data execution prevention will cause an event ID 1000 and source 100 which will cause new installs to fail.

You can check event viewer by typing eventvwr in search>goto the windows log>application tab and look for errors (they have red in the left hand column) that include either app hang, app crash, or the name of the install that failed. there is a lot of data so you may want to wait until it happens to search to limit the amount of data you have to look through

When you find it if the event ID is 1000 and the source 100 you are going to have to into the system control panel>advanced system>performance>DEP. the default is to windows apps only if it is either grayed out or set incorrectly it is what is causing the installs to fail.

It can be turned off completely but isnt recommended as it is a security feature and virus launching an exe in protested memory space

Let us know if you need help with that

Kedn J+
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies so far .... I should have been more specific in my original post.
    What actually happens is the installer blue progress bar reaches approx. 98% of completion, it then performs a reversal of the blue bar to zero as the installation "unwinds" itself.
    There are no error codes, other than an "Unable To Install" message.
    KEN .... Regarding DEP ... No error codes so far .....DEP needs to be turned OFF before I run the installer, how is this done ?
    Advanced settings only seem to allow me to turn it off for already installed programs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    P.S. Running as Administrator has no effect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have occasionally had this "Unable To Install" message and then the installation bar unwinds itself. No error message or other clue what's happening.

The culprit turns out to be security software, specifically Zemana Antilogger. Exiting that and re-installing succeeds. Then Zemana can be restarted and the PC is fine.

So based on my experience, this could be an issue with security software. Otherwise "Run as administrator" can help with some installation problems. It shouldn't be necessary to fiddle with DEP if you have a standard Windows installation.

Regards,
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart McFadyen View Post
    P.S. Running as Administrator has no effect.
    Have you examined any installation log files? Unless the install says otherwise they are probably in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having a similar problem, except my computer is rebooting. I get the feeling that it is actually a hardware problem, but memory tests and hardware tests show everything is working fine. It might be CD/DVD drive drivers, but according to all my driver testers I have the latest ones. I'm still investigating, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Genzano View Post
    I'm having a similar problem, except my computer is rebooting. I get the feeling that it is actually a hardware problem, but memory tests and hardware tests show everything is working fine. It might be CD/DVD drive drivers, but according to all my driver testers I have the latest ones. I'm still investigating, but any ideas would be appreciated.
    Are you getting a BSOD? Have you checked the event logs?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No BSOD, just a reboot. And nothing has been getting to the logs as the reboot is happening before the event can get written.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Genzano View Post
    No BSOD, just a reboot. And nothing has been getting to the logs as the reboot is happening before the event can get written.
    This is only on product installs? Have you tried to to repair your Windows installation?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem installing, ironically, Microsoft Office 2007, several rollbacks at about 80% completion. For me at least, I loaded an earlier install image, prior to installing my security software, and Office installed fine. I had several application problems during install, but once I got to my final "install" image (I had seven LOL) which was the ATI Catalyst package, everything has been remarkably stable. Creative needs to work on their Audigy drivers, they work, but sometimes flake out, and that is about the only problem I have had. No further problems with installs either, and there have been quite a few. Which reminds me, it is time for another image.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    PROBLEM SOLVED ! .... I uninstalled ALL security software, which was upgraded from Vista Home Premium .... AntiVirus, Anti Malware, Firewall and Scheduled Diskeeper. New programs now Install OK.

Many thanks to all who responded to my Post.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have "repaired" my Windows installation a couple of times, still get the problem. I still think it might be a hardware problem, so I'm still working on it. I'll report back if I get anywhere.