New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been testing out Win7 Ultimate x64 and am experiencing some disturbing behavior - the winSxs folder seems to be growing to an uncomfortable size. My initial partition size was 20Gb but I was getting warnings about a lack of disk space within a couple of days. I reinstalled with a 40Gb partition size and after a week or so my total C: partition is already up to 24Gb (though it images down to 7Gb).

Install is a pretty basic install, handfull of utilities and Office 2k7. All data/user files have been moved of the C drive so user data is not an issue.

From searching Google this seems to have been an issue with Vista as well but I haven't been able to find any real resolution other than "deal with it, storage space is cheap!" I know there are a bunch of symbolic links and the folder size of 10Gb doesn't really mean 10Gb, but when programs refuse to install due to a reported lack of space the "imaginary" file size becomes pretty real.

My concern is with planning for laptop installs w/ space constrained SSDs as well as virtual test machines - is 40Gb going to be enough?

Anyone have any insights in this behavior?

G^2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntis Glinavs View Post
    I have been testing out Win7 Ultimate x64 and am experiencing some disturbing behavior - the winSxs folder seems to be growing to an uncomfortable size. My initial partition size was 20Gb but I was getting warnings about a lack of disk space within a couple of days. I reinstalled with a 40Gb partition size and after a week or so my total C: partition is already up to 24Gb (though it images down to 7Gb).

Install is a pretty basic install, handfull of utilities and Office 2k7. All data/user files have been moved of the C drive so user data is not an issue.

From searching Google this seems to have been an issue with Vista as well but I haven't been able to find any real resolution other than "deal with it, storage space is cheap!" I know there are a bunch of symbolic links and the folder size of 10Gb doesn't really mean 10Gb, but when programs refuse to install due to a reported lack of space the "imaginary" file size becomes pretty real.

My concern is with planning for laptop installs w/ space constrained SSDs as well as virtual test machines - is 40Gb going to be enough?

Anyone have any insights in this behavior?

G^2

G
    Hi and welcome

Unfortunately it is a fact of life in both vista and win 7. The winsxs folder can be moved with a lot of work but it still is going to grow. If you do alot of app installs, it can get huge. I have reports fro users that theirs have become 25gigs by itself.

The folder is necessary to provide all the different versions of 'DLL' for each individual app.

sorry about that

Good Luck

Ken J+
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    Unfortunately it is a fact of life in both vista and win 7. The winsxs folder can be moved with a lot of work but it still is going to grow. If you do alot of app installs, it can get huge. I have reports fro users that theirs have become 25gigs by itself.
    [snip]
    Not true, see this post.