New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the scenario - I have Win 7 Pro with Office 2007 - I have a quite a few archived PST files, that I used to be able to search using the search bar in Vista... Now, even though I have them added to the Search Options under Outlook - It seems I can never locate the emails I am trying to search... I am running Outlook in Cached mode - as that's a requirement for the search for Outlook to work....I can search for files fine, but seems like nothing within Outlook - just comes back with no results found...

Any ideas/suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amit Shankar View Post
    This is the scenario - I have Win 7 Pro with Office 2007 - I have a quite a few archived PST files, that I used to be able to search using the search bar in Vista... Now, even though I have them added to the Search Options under Outlook - It seems I can never locate the emails I am trying to search... I am running Outlook in Cached mode - as that's a requirement for the search for Outlook to work....I can search for files fine, but seems like nothing within Outlook - just comes back with no results found...

Any ideas/suggestions?
    Have you tried deletiing and rebuilding the index?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    when you search, are you searching for a complete word / number using the beginning, or part way through a word / number?

We have found in work that when searching for a a string, if it is not the start of a word / number then it will not find a thing.

ie if we had a string that started S1-543687-00 and we searched for 543687 we would get no results - even tho there could be ten or more items with this in the subject - however if we searched for S1-543 we would find all items with this in, either subject or body.

We found that after uninstalling windows search 4.0 and using Search 3.0 it worked a treat with any part of a word / number

we banished windows search 4.0 and if someone actually wanted a more comprehensive search, then we showed them how to use the advanced find in outlook itself.

Seems after lots of searching on windows search problems - windows search 4.0 itself seemed to be the main culprit - as in it doesn't (or didn't) work very well for us in the corparate enviroment.

On the other hand - I have win 7 ultimate and office 2007 on this laptop and it all works great - go figure!
    Rgds

Paul C

If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all!

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

HaHaHa - 10 hours after registering and I just realised I had my corporate work head on while I registered as I did my work style Surname Firstname way of entering my name - doh!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I set folder options to show hidden and system files. I then typed *.pst into the search window in explorer with C: in the address bar. Here is what I got:[attachment=86903:Capture.PNG]
    Attached Images Attached Images