New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium (clean install) on a Dell Inspiron 531 with a Dell 24" monitor and an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT card. Everything is great except sometimes after the display turns off and the mouse is moved everything will freeze. Sometimes just for 30-45 seconds, sometimes really freeze up and force a power button shutdown.

Sleep and hard drive shutdown are set at 1 hour, display turn off at 10 minutes ( to separate the issues). If I'm away 15 minutes, there's a fair chance of a freeze. Wake from Sleep is OK with no problems. I've updated to the latest driver from Nvidia's website, but the problem didn't change.

The temporary freeze does not show up in Reliability Monitor, but of course a forced shutdown does.

Any idea why this is happening and/or how to fix it? Thanks much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Steelman View Post
    Hi,

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium (clean install) on a Dell Inspiron 531 with a Dell 24" monitor and an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT card. Everything is great except sometimes after the display turns off and the mouse is moved everything will freeze. Sometimes just for 30-45 seconds, sometimes really freeze up and force a power button shutdown.

Sleep and hard drive shutdown are set at 1 hour, display turn off at 10 minutes ( to separate the issues). If I'm away 15 minutes, there's a fair chance of a freeze. Wake from Sleep is OK with no problems. I've updated to the latest driver from Nvidia's website, but the problem didn't change.

The temporary freeze does not show up in Reliability Monitor, but of course a forced shutdown does.

Any idea why this is happening and/or how to fix it? Thanks much.
    Hi Wayne and welcome

One thing you might want to consider is going into event vier by typing eventvwr in search and go to the windows logs>application tab to look for errors. Errors have red in the left hand column and would contain something like app hang, app crash, or freeze. There os a ton of dats so you might want to wait until it just happened. If you find them take the event ID and plug it into google for results. Or you could post the event ID and source code and someone (me) would be happy to look it up for you

Good luck and let us know if you need help with that

Kenn J+.
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you aware that Win 7 Hybrid Sleep or Hibernation require a brief push of the power button to wake? Moving the mouse or pressing a key only wakes the screen if it is not in Hibernation. Pressing the hardware power--not too long or it will turn off--will wake the computer. Try that next time. You might consider setting Hibernation to Never and only start it by selecting it on the shutdown menu.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary G View Post
    Are you aware that Win 7 Hybrid Sleep or Hibernation require a brief push of the power button to wake? Moving the mouse or pressing a key only wakes the screen if it is not in Hibernation. Pressing the hardware power--not too long or it will turn off--will wake the computer. Try that next time. You might consider setting Hibernation to Never and only start it by selecting it on the shutdown menu.
    I believe I've eliminated Sleep or Hibernation as an issue here. The problem occurs long before the desktop is set to go to Sleep. It's just the monitor powering down and back up again. Thanks though.

Ken: checking Event Viewer immediately after makes sense; I'll attempt to try it.