New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone have good instructions for installing Win7 on machines currently using XP Home? Thanks, Tkane06

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a really good step-by-step list from Microsoft:

Microsoft XP-to-Vista Tutorial
    http:// windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Note: Definately run the upgrade advisor and print it out. If it lists devices as "unknown," don't panic - most of them have a driver by now and will work from what i've seen.

Note: If you have (or can borrow or buy) and external USB hard drive, or have a network share available, download the Windows Easy Transfer utility and run it as discussed in the tutorial to migrate all your data.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, John.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing perhaps worth saying is something I hadn't picked up anywhere - there were several points in the install process where I thought it had failed because the screen remained unchanged for such a long time, without the timer, no text to say what was happening and no apparent hard drive activity. The first time I did in fact re-boot as I thought it had crashed.

The second time I had to wait a full 5 minutes for it to move on (yes I timed it!), again with no indication at all that it was doing anything. Apart from those two points (the second delay was shorter), I have to say that install went well and I really like the new OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Laplink Upgrade Assistant software could make it easier by storing your programs and setup and restoring for you. Didn't work for me but I had a huge amount of stuff including very old stuff on my PC.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You will find that the install on a OLDER machine, there will be several VERY long pauses, as it is trying to find "Generic" drivers for the older hardware.

I saw one UPGRADE take over 6 hours to complete.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.