Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have XP Pro at present. I have run advisor and it says ok to windows 7. I have a 120gb drive partitioned into 4. C drive is where XP is formated NTFS with 12gb left. I would like to put windows 7 into drive E which has 27gb free and is formated NTFS.

Can I follow the windows secrets advice for adding XP to a vista machine and have it set up as a dual boot? I have not found advice for adding Windows 7 to an XP machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed a Vista upgrade to an unformatted pportion of my HDD. It found the unportioned area right away and suggested it as the area to install into. I had a working dual boot machine while I had Vista onboard. This may bode well for Win 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a good video about how to do that very thing. That 27 GB free space may be an impediment however.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=1280&tag=leftCol;post-1280

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed henderson View Post
    I have XP Pro at present. I have run advisor and it says ok to windows 7. I have a 120gb drive partitioned into 4. C drive is where XP is formated NTFS with 12gb left. I would like to put windows 7 into drive E which has 27gb free and is formated NTFS.

Can I follow the windows secrets advice for adding XP to a vista machine and have it set up as a dual boot? I have not found advice for adding Windows 7 to an XP machine.

You should be able to do just that.
    While I haven't yet made the jump to Win 7 Gold yet, I have my system setup to triple boot XP, Vista and the Win7 RC. No problems with that at all.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you considered the alternative of the XP Mode in Windows 7? Only problem is that this apparently requires Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.

If you are planning to get a cheaper version of Windows 7, my understanding is that you can can still use the free Windows Virtual PC. While not quite as featureful, it offers some benefits compared with dual boot.

I have been using MS Virtual PC on my XP system for some time, running Windows ME. I have had not problems with it.

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJakarta View Post
    Have you considered the alternative of the XP Mode in Windows 7? Only problem is that this apparently requires Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.
    ANother thing you must be sure is that your PC will support hardware virtualization. See Can your Intel CPU handle Windows 7ís XP Mode? for more details.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    ANother thing you must be sure is that your PC will support hardware virtualization.
    Joe,

Thanks for identifying that. Knocks my PC on the head as far as the XP Mode. But I assume that the Windows Virtual PC 2007 (that I am running on my current PC under XP Home) will still run Windows 7, even though this is shown as unsupported? After all, it is supported on Vista.Or am I being too hopeful? Has anyone tried with Windows 7?

Chris

Lounger
    Thanks
    Chris:

I can't tell whether Microsoft's Virtual PC runs under Windows 7, although I'd certainly be stunned if it didn't.

However, Sun's VirtualBox and VMWare's Server and Player products (all free) will run on Windows 7 if Microsoft's Virtual PC doesn't. And they allow you to access your USB ports, which -- last I heard -- Virtual PC doesn't.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy J. McGowan View Post
    I can't tell whether Microsoft's Virtual PC runs under Windows 7, although I'd certainly be stunned if it didn't.

However, Sun's VirtualBox and VMWare's Server and Player products (all free) will run on Windows 7 if Microsoft's Virtual PC doesn't. And they allow you to access your USB ports, which -- last I heard -- Virtual PC doesn't.
    Timothy,

Thanks for those links. I was not aware of either. Any recommendation?

You're right that the MS VM won't access USB posts. For USB drives, one can of course access them either directly on the host, or by sharing them, and accessing them through Network Places.

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The "XP Mode" that comes with Windows 7 Ultimate is a combination of Microsoft Virtual PC, a preconfigured Windows XP virtual disk, and some intregration that enables all Windows XP apps to appear on the Windows 7 start menu and to display directly on the Windows 7 desktop. (XP Mode also supports USB devices).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJakarta View Post
    Thanks for those links. I was not aware of either. Any recommendation?

You're right that the MS VM won't access USB posts. For USB drives, one can of course access them either directly on the host, or by sharing them, and accessing them through Network Places.
    Chris:

I occasionally hook things up via USB that cannot be shared, such as dongles. The Virtual PC is a nonstarter for me. Or I'm too stupid to figure out proper sharing techniques.

I vastly prefer keyboard to mouse. For essentially that reason alone, I prefer VMware's Player or Server. (Server helps you create "machines," which Player cannot do, but you can freely download empty machines from VMware and load an operating system on them.) When you want to move from Player or Server to your host operating system, you press Ctrl+Alt, and then you can Alt+Tab to your other running programs; when you Alt+Tab back to Player or Server, press Ctrl+G to control the virtual computer. You need to learn to press Ctrl+Alt+Insert instead of Ctrl+Alt+Delete in the VM, or both operating systems recognize the command simultaneously.

I've had less experience with Sun's VirtualBox, but it gets the job done. I don't like the limitations on the key combinations used to switch between the VM and the host machine. Otherwise, it's perfectly good too, in my experience.

I'm cheap, by the way, so I'm running both programs on marginally powered hardware. Every VM I've tried is a bit sluggish on my computers. I know for a fact that VMware will slow down my XP Home system's start-up time just by being installed, but it otherwise has no perceptible effect on the computer until run. (Athlon XP 3200+, 2.20 GHz, 2 GB RAM. More than five years old now, and not particularly awe-inspiring when new.) I've not tried Sun's VirtualBox on this system, but it's acceptable, albeit not snappy, on a two-year-old $450 Toshiba laptop that's been maxed out with 2 GB of RAM.

All of which means, have some decent hardware or a bit of patience. After all, you're running a computer within a computer, which is significantly harder than running Notepad or Solitaire.

Note that VMware Server (last time I checked) is designed for XP Professional, not Home, but it works just fine under Home regardless.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    The "XP Mode" that comes with Windows 7 Ultimate is a combination of Microsoft Virtual PC, a preconfigured Windows XP virtual disk, and some intregration that enables all Windows XP apps to appear on the Windows 7 start menu and to display directly on the Windows 7 desktop. (XP Mode also supports USB devices).
    Stuart:

XP Mode is available with Windows 7 Professional too. Both Pro and Ultimate have the same hardware requirements.

I finally remembered a discussion elsewhere about Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 and XP Mode and Windows 7. You can install VPC 2007 if you haven't installed XP Mode -- but XP Mode only supports XP. If you have a Windows 98-only application and need to run it in a virtual machine, you'll want to avoid even installing XP Mode. Sandy G. of WUGNET has more information in this discussion on CompuServe's Windows Support forum (see Message 13).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    ...XP Mode only supports XP. If you have a Windows 98-only application and need to run it in a virtual machine, you'll want to avoid even installing XP Mode. Sandy G. of WUGNET has more information in this discussion on CompuServe's Windows Support forum (see Message 13).
    I have loads of old applications that won't even run on Windows XP, fortunately none of these needs Windows so I use DosBox to run them, and Windows XP mode for the rest. I also use compatibility mode within the Virtual XP system to run some old applications that don't like XP.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    ... I use DosBox ...
    Stuart:

I think I experimented with that once, and while it worked, it didn't solve a particular problem for me.

In fact, no emulator has: A DOS program I used would use every processor cycle it could suck up, even when standing still. Regardless of whether I ran it in XP or a virtual PC, it would make all other running programs crawl.

So I wandered away from DosBox -- and, finally, the troublesome software as well.

Thanks
    Hi Ed,
    If you want to dual boot XP and Windows 7, you would be better off to allocate more than 27 GB to the Win7 install. You noted that XP Pro was on one partition, and you want to install Win7 on a second partition 27GB in size. Is the XP partition the only OS installed at this time? Are all three of the other partitions empty? If not, you really need at least two of the three partitions empty. Personally, I would not install Win7 on anything smaller than a 50 GB partition. My Win 7 partition has over 28 GB already taken by OS, apps and data, and my software installs and data storage are modest by anyone's measure. Besides that, Windows needs between 10 - 15% free hard drive space to run properly. If you have too little free HD space Windows can be very unstable. You can download and install Easeus Partition Master Home Edition 4.1.1 which will allow you to resize or remove any of your partitions. It will even safely relocate your data on any partition you resize. Be sure to do a backup of your Windows or other OS partitions before proceeding.

If you decide to proceed with the dual boot, remove any partitions you want to use with Win 7. Leave the newly emptied space unallocated (do not format), and be sure your unallocated drive space is contiguous, not separated into two segments by another OS partition. The Win 7 installation will format NTFS for you. Configure your BIOS to boot first from your DVD drive, and then boot with your Windows 7 DVD. When Windows setup starts, wait for the screen that asks which install you want to perform, the options being an upgrade install or a custom install. Choose only the custom install, and shortly you will see a screen asking you where you want your Win 7 installed. Select the unallocated space and click 'next'. Windows 7 will then install and copy its own boot files (boot folder and the file bootmgr) over to the root of the XP partition and create a boot menu that you will see after the installation is completed. If Windows XP and Windows 7 are the only two OS's on your hard drive then you will see two entries, one for XP, 'Earlier version of Windows' and one for 'Windows 7'. For more details see this article in TechRepublic. You will need to set up a free account with a user id and password but it is well worth the time.

Hope this helps. Enjoy Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast