Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if the new iPod Touch 3g can be (tricked) to be compatible with Outlook 2000? It is not listed as compatible in the data I've found so far, and I'm not able to upgrade my Outlook program just yet because my OLD Dell PDA still depends on it for syncing. If I buy the Touch, I may eventually dispense with the PDA altogether. Then I could upgrade my Outlook. THanks if you can help. judson

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Evergreen, CO, USA
    Posts
    6,624
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 60 Posts
    The iTouch should handily replace your Dell PDA, and the synching of it with Outlook 2000 is possible, but requires jumping through some hoops based on my research (I don't own one, but one of my sons does). I would upgrade to a more recent version of Office - 2000 is over 10 years old. And I would probably do both more or less at the same time. You might want to wait until early next year, and see if you can qualify for an upgrade to Office 2010 - rumor has it that the new version will be released mid-year. I'm curious why your are considering the iTouch instead of the iPhone?
    Wendell

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    The iTouch should handily replace your Dell PDA, and the synching of it with Outlook 2000 is possible, but requires jumping through some hoops based on my research (I don't own one, but one of my sons does). I would upgrade to a more recent version of Office - 2000 is over 10 years old. And I would probably do both more or less at the same time. You might want to wait until early next year, and see if you can qualify for an upgrade to Office 2010 - rumor has it that the new version will be released mid-year. I'm curious why your are considering the iTouch instead of the iPhone?
    Seems as though June 2010 is more than a rumour - Microsoft to Deliver Office 2010 in June 2010.

    Joe
    Joe

  4. #4
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks, Wendell and Joe. I can't justify or afford the high monthly cost of an iphone. We're not heavy phone users and don't text. The iPod Touch will connect wirelessly to a signal without that expensive data package. My grand-daughter had hers at my house and had no problem connecting to my router with it. My main thing is to use it to carry a lot of document files, some containing important medical information that I have previously accessed via my PDA. I can download a program from iTunes to create, read and edit Word docs.

    My old Outlook 2000 was not part of Office originally. It was sent to my by Dell as a standalone program when I bought the PDA. So upgrading isn't possible, I don't think, just for the Outlook program.Am I wrong? Judy

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Olson View Post
    My old Outlook 2000 was not part of Office originally. It was sent to my by Dell as a standalone program when I bought the PDA. So upgrading isn't possible, I don't think, just for the Outlook program.Am I wrong? Judy
    It appears from 2007 Microsoft Office system pricing - Products - Microsoft Office Online that you do qualify for upgrade pricing.

    Joe
    Joe

  6. #6
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi, joeperez.
    Thanks for the link, but I see where it says upgrade not applicable. $110 for just Outlook. Yikes, that's steep. I may check out if I use the calendar and contacts from my Yahoo or other web mail. The iPod Touch is pricey enough. May need to go back to work to support my electronics habit. :-) Judy

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Olson View Post
    Hi, joeperez.
    Thanks for the link, but I see where it says upgrade not applicable. $110 for just Outlook. Yikes, that's steep. I may check out if I use the calendar and contacts from my Yahoo or other web mail. The iPod Touch is pricey enough. May need to go back to work to support my electronics habit. :-) Judy

    You are correct. I was looking at the suites. Sorry for any confusion.

    Joe
    Joe

  8. #8
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks anyway. I've been checking my options. I can import my Outlook calendar into Yahoo via the csv file. Will have to try that. There's even a sync between the Yahoo calendar and Outlook. Maybe Outlook 2000 isn't dead yet! Appreciate your input. Judy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •