New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have installed Win 7 on 3 computers, 2 of which were running XP, 1 Vista Ultimate. I did a clean install on each. I used Win 7 Home Premium upgrades for the 2 XP machines; I used Win 7 Ultimate for the Vista machine.

"Pin to taskbar" doesn't work at all on one of the Home Premium units (the option doesn't even appear on the right click menu). It worked for 2 programs on the other Home Premium install.

On the Win 7 Ultimate machine, "Pin to taskbar" initially appeared to work just as advertised. But after I had 12 items pinned, the option disappeared from the right click menu. If I open Win Explorer, go to the folder of a particular program, right-click on the EXE file, "Pin to taskbar" is shown as an option . . . but choosing it does NOT put the item on the taskbar. No error messages or warning or hints that it didn't work appear to explain why the icon isn't there.

The "jump lists" appear to work as advertised for IE8 (displaying previous Internet links) on the 1 Home Premium machine that has 2 pinned items. But on the Ultimate machine (the one with 12 items pinned), the "list" that opens from a pinned item doesn't display any options beyond the program itself (e.g., MS Word 2007) with the exception of Media Player and IE8. Media Player's jump list shows "resume previous list" and "play all music". IE8 shows "start in-private browsing" and "open new tab" options.

The 3 machines are running on the same HomeGroup. The laptop (with 2 pinned items) has 2gig memory; the Home Premium desktop has just 1.5gig memory; the 64bit Ultimate has 4gig memory.

Anyone else seen this problem? More to the point, anyone have a "fix" for it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know if this applies to you, but I recall that if you use some applications to remove the Shortcut Overlay Arrow from shortcut icons, the Pin function may stop working. It has something to do with the IsShortcut value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile being removed or renamed.

In some cases deactivating the arrow for *.LNK files leads to duplicate items in the Explorer context menu as removing the “IsShortcut” effectively forces Windows to treat the shortcut as a real hard file. In Windows 7 this may stop the pin shortcut to Taskbar or Start Menu to stop working.

If this is the case, create a new string value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile called IsShortcut then reboot and see if it fixes the problem.

NH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Tingley View Post
    The "jump lists" appear to work as advertised for IE8 (displaying previous Internet links) on the 1 Home Premium machine that has 2 pinned items. But on the Ultimate machine (the one with 12 items pinned), the "list" that opens from a pinned item doesn't display any options beyond the program itself (e.g., MS Word 2007) with the exception of Media Player and IE8.
    Have you checked how many items are set to be displayed in the jump list - right click taskbar, select Properties | Start Menu | Customize?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was having the same problem after doing some reading on the problem I realized I was doing it wrong. All you have to do is find the exe file ( such as iexplore.exe ) right click on the file and the select Pin to Taskbar. Worked for me. Hope it does for you too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan H View Post
    Don't know if this applies to you, but I recall that if you use some applications to remove the Shortcut Overlay Arrow from shortcut icons, the Pin function may stop working. It has something to do with the IsShortcut value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile being removed or renamed.

In some cases deactivating the arrow for *.LNK files leads to duplicate items in the Explorer context menu as removing the “IsShortcut” effectively forces Windows to treat the shortcut as a real hard file. In Windows 7 this may stop the pin shortcut to Taskbar or Start Menu to stop working.

If this is the case, create a new string value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile called IsShortcut then reboot and see if it fixes the problem.

NH
    I've always, since I can remember, edited the registry and removed all of the "IsShortcut" entries. This would remove the icon shortcut arrows on the desktop. As stated, I could not pin to the taskbar after editing the registry. Putting the string value back in fixed the problem for me. Thanks much Nathan for the fix.

Wayne

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I wanted to share this: i had the same problem: i was unabled to add a folder or an application to Windows Explorer's jump list (no error, no message, no jump list).
    I tried the "IsShortcut" solution: nothing.
    Until i came to this explanation:
    In general, the recent jumplist file is stored at the following location:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestin ations

Check in this folder to see if the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms is located, the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms includes Windows Explorer jumplist data. You can manually delete it and the data will be re-created.
    The original post is here
    _____(: Y-Phil ___