2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just taught a mini Quick Parts/Building Block session. Everyone enjoyed the class, but one question arose; and I told them I'd get the answer. How can you select an entire document including headers and footers? I seem to be able to create a header or footer quick part and of of course the main document paragraphs, but can't get the headers and footer as a part of an entire document. Hope that makes sense. We don't want to have to save the headers and footers separately. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think that would be a template.
    Pam
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrawfor View Post
    How can you select an entire document including headers and footers?
    This may not be easy because I assume Word does not let you include the final paragraph mark of a document in a Quick Part/Building Block. The reason that final paragraph mark is important is that it is the end-of-section marker for the last and perhaps only section in your document, and the headers and footers are a part of the section-level formatting. If you were to insert a new page section break there and include that in your Quick Park/Building Block, does it capture the headers and footers?

== Edit ==

I agree with Pam that a template would be the best option!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, I will tell the class that templates are the best choice if it is an entire document that is to be saved. I need to train them on templates, too. Most have lots of applications but don't reach out of their comfort zone of copy, paste, renaming an old document! Again appreciate the help.
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    BUT, if they want part of a document, including headers and footers, then they just need to include the appropriate section break as part of the selection.