Lounger
    Thanks
    Nowhere have I seen anyone address how to convert 32bit Data Files for use in the Win 7 - 64bit environment. I've not yet attempted to convert from 32bit XP, but I have a lot of different data files from different apps I use. I've already confirmed that 64bit app software is available for when I upgrade, but I'm wondering how easy it is.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Data files should not require any conversion - data is still stored in byte units. Applications for the most part are still 32-bit but you are starting to see 64-bit versions of them - Exchange Server is a case in point - the 2007 version requires a 64-bit OS. And 64-bit versions of the Office applications are expected in the next release.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wendell is correct. As a side note to Office 2010, it will have 32bit and 64bit version. Both will run on 64bit platform. If you install the 64bit version, ALL previous version of Office will have to removed before it will install.

Funny enough, I did have a 32 version of Exchange 2007, but it was designed for non-production testing only ;-)

NH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan H View Post
    Funny enough, I did have a 32 version of Exchange 2007, but it was designed for non-production testing only ;-)
    Yes. That was provided so people migrating from older versions could install a small test environment. No support for production. Besides 64-bit Exchange scales so much better.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan H View Post
    Wendell is correct. As a side note to Office 2010, it will have 32bit and 64bit version. Both will run on 64bit platform. If you install the 64bit version, ALL previous version of Office will have to removed before it will install.

NH
    Thank you Wendell, Nathan, and Joe ...

"ALL previous version of Office will have to removed before it will install."
    By this do you mean all data files as well, or as Wendell said they will continue to be processed okay in Office 2010?

Also, what about .pst and .ost files for Outlook (from Outlook/Office 2007)?

Al

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I am pretty confident that Microsoft will retain backward compatibility for data files (including PST files) when they release Office 2010, otherwise nobody would buy it!

We seem to have moved away from a discussion of Windows 7 and you should probably take this discussion of Office 2010 to our Beta Software Forum.