New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am looking for replacements for XP Power Toys that will work in Windows 7. While I would welcome suggestions about *any* of the Power Toys, I particularly am in need of an equivalent to "Open Command Line Here". I frequently run a compile "make" file that may reside in various directories and needs to be invoked from a command line in the particular directory I am using at the moment. Help!

micmac

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows Club offers the free Ultimate Tweaker.

You can download it from this page.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/category/downloads

The "open command line" feature is included in the UT under the additional tweaks tab.
    "Campaigns to bear-proof all garbage containers in wild areas have been difficult because, as
    one biologist put it, `There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence levels of the
    smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.'
    Richard Wabrek

Thanks
    Have a look at "Ultimate Windows Tweaker".

woops - I see that Steve beat me to it!
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another option is WinBubble 1.76. It was suggested in the book Windows 7 Secrets. Like Ultimate Windws Tweaker, which I just noticed is now up to version 2, WinBubble is just a single executable file to be run as needed. I really like that approach, and currently have both installed on my Windows 7 Home Premium system.
    It's a netbook with an 8GB primary and 32GB secondary SSD, so needed lots of tweaking to fit and work well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike McConkey View Post
    I am looking for replacements for XP Power Toys that will work in Windows 7. While I would welcome suggestions about *any* of the Power Toys, I particularly am in need of an equivalent to "Open Command Line Here". I frequently run a compile "make" file that may reside in various directories and needs to be invoked from a command line in the particular directory I am using at the moment. Help!

micmac

Press and hold the shift key while right-clicking on a folder and ``Open Command Window Here`` will appear as one of the items in the pop-up menu. No power toy required.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim de Graff View Post
    Press and hold the shift key while right-clicking on a folder and ``Open Command Window Here`` will appear as one of the items in the pop-up menu. No power toy required.
    Great tip! Thanks.
    Regards,
    PaulB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    X-SETUP PRO is great. I have used it for years. Costs $19.95 http://www.x-setup.net/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A utility that i found on download.com:

Create a new folder on your desktop, rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

If all works open the folder and it gives a whole host of tweaks to the win 7 system

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Shuttleworth View Post
    Create a new folder on your desktop, rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
    This gives access to all of the Control Panel adjustments, see http://bro.ws/770590L for more discussion.