2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had an XP-Pro machine which I recently upgraded to Win7. However, I did not install Win7 over the XP partition. Instead--since I had an extra partition anyway from an old dual-boot configuration--I installed Win7 on another partition, leaving the XP partition in case I wanted to go back to it.

After using Win7 I've determined I won't go back to XP, so I want to move the Win7 partition to the front of the drive where the XP partition is. Using Partition Wizard I delete the XP partition and moved the Win7 partition to its place. Bzzzzzttt! Bad move, it wouldn't boot. Apparently there is only 1 master boot record per disk? and I removed it along with the XP partition. Fortunately I had an entire disk image with clonezilla so was able to recover.

However, I'd still like to remove the XP partition and move the Win7 partition to the start of the drive, and of course have it boot properly. How can I do that?

TiA,
    Ralph

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The simplest and quickest, is to rebuild the system, there are way to many registry entries that would need to be cleaned up.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    The simplest and quickest, is to rebuild the system, there are way to many registry entries that would need to be cleaned up.
    Uhhh...no. Simplest and quickest? I'd have to rebuild days of installing programs and configuring.

What I need is simply a way of moving the Win7 partition onto the existing XP partition which has the MBR and whatever else windows needs to boot. Or, adding the MBR to the Win7 partition. I'm sure there are tools and methods of doing this, but I don't know them. And this would require zero registry changes, since Win7 wouldn't know that its partition changed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Finch View Post
    Uhhh...no. Simplest and quickest? I'd have to rebuild days of installing programs and configuring.

What I need is simply a way of moving the Win7 partition onto the existing XP partition which has the MBR and whatever else windows needs to boot. Or, adding the MBR to the Win7 partition. I'm sure there are tools and methods of doing this, but I don't know them. And this would require zero registry changes, since Win7 wouldn't know that its partition changed.
    See if remove xp and leave w7 - Windows 7 Forums helps.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I finally got it moved.

joeperez (above) had the clue. That, and some more investigation, revealed that a partition can be a System and/or Boot Partition:
    System partitions and boot partitions are names for partitions (or volumes) on a hard disk that Windows uses when starting. These terms can be confusing because the system partition actually contains the files used to boot Windows 7, while the boot partition contains the system files...An additional term, the active partition, describes which system partition (and thus which operating system) your computer uses to start.
    Also, the way Windows handles its files changed from XP to Vista/W7.

At this point I gotta admit I can't reconstruct the most efficient steps to make my W7 partition the boot+system partition, but it involved bcdboot and using the W7 DVD to fix the startup MBR. When that was done I could delete the old XP partition, which left me with the W7 partition in the middle of two unallocated spaces on the drive. The last step was to move the W7 partition to the start of the drive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Finch View Post
    OK, I finally got it moved.

joeperez (above) had the clue. That, and some more investigation, revealed that a partition can be a System and/or Boot Partition:

Also, the way Windows handles its files changed from XP to Vista/W7.

At this point I gotta admit I can't reconstruct the most efficient steps to make my W7 partition the boot+system partition, but it involved bcdboot and using the W7 DVD to fix the startup MBR. When that was done I could delete the old XP partition, which left me with the W7 partition in the middle of two unallocated spaces on the drive. The last step was to move the W7 partition to the start of the drive.
    Good work!! Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    You have to delete the XP partition using your Partitioning software. Then you have to format the deleted space. Then you just extend your Win7 partition so that it fills the entire space. I did this to delete the recovery partitions on all my PC's when I clean installed windows 7
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    You have to delete the XP partition using your Partitioning software. Then you have to format the deleted space. Then you just extend your Win7 partition so that it fills the entire space. I did this to delete the recovery partitions on all my PC's when I clean installed windows 7
    This won't work. My Windows 7 partition did not have the necessary boot information in it; only the XP partition had it. So if I deleted that as you say, and extend the Win7 partition, it wouldn't boot at all from the harddrive. Recovery partitions as you described are different; you had the boot information on your Win7 partition to start with.

Thanks
    I see. So it appears the best alternative may be to boot from the Win 7 DVD, and load Win 7 over the XP partition, then do the expand in size.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A good tutorial on how to create a XP/Windows 7 dual boot system and then to later remove the XP OS can be found at http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...tCol;post-1728