Thread: thanks button

New Lounger
    Thanks
    how about adding a thanks button to the bottom of posts so users can thank helpfull people without having to make another post just to say thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great idea. Hope they will implement it soon.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, A+, Net+

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    See rule 7 (link at the top of the page).

7. Thanking people for help received
    If several people have contributed help in solving your problem, there is no need to post individual thank-you replies to each of them. Make one reply to the topic, thanking them all. If you start your reply with "Thanks to all" then people can skip it if they are in a hurry.
    It's very easy to use for example, the Fast Reply at the end of the page (it's not a reply to any individual post; in fact the reply is to the OP who started the thread (if s/he has notifications enabled s/he will also get that), everyone will see that post.

One can pick one of the posts that were helpful and thank everyone.

Since one, or several Loungers, have put some time and effort into the thread, a short message is nice. Remember also, if you find the solution yourself or in another place, it's also very nice to mention that.

Thanks
    I really do hate Thanks buttons, because they become competitive if the numbers of Thankses is totalled, and because sometimes people even solicit thanks in their signatures! On one board I have even seen what would appear to be a 'mutual thanking fraternity', where people seem to have arranged to thank each other for any arbitrary post one of them has made, just to increase their total numbers of Thanks...

A post can be a good answer to someone's problem irrespective of the numbers of Thanks the replier has received - or even the total number of posts the replier has made in the past.

It is common politeness to express thanks if someone has solved a problem for you, or even had a good attempt at it, or caused your mind to go down a new and possibly productive route.

But a Thanks button doesn't seem to be the way to go, IMNVHO! My 0.01 worth...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree completely with BATcher, and since another thread has been created on the same topic, after my reply in this thread, I link to my comments there. Post 807622.

A "thank you message" is also feedback, and this, feedback, has gathered quite some knowledge in this old Lounge.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a brand new member I'd like to say 'thanks' to all those involved, and their hard work is very much appreciated.