Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have recently installed Windows 7 Home 64 and Office 2003 on my Thinkpad. No problems at first.
    But now the Thinkpad Ultranav mouse (red pointer in the keyboard) seems to lose function in the text part of Word after a few moments. I can move the mouse about but it refuses to select text or to respond to a click in a new position in the text. I can access and select menu options with no problem. It is only in the text area that it refuses to work properly.
    In all other applications the mouse works fine, even in Excel. And no problem on my wife's Win7 Home 32 PC.

If i close and restart Word, the mouse works correctly for a few minutes and then again refuses to select or accept a click on a new position in the text.

So what is Word 2003 objecting to on my system? Is there a way to "kick" Word into responding t mouse clicks properly?

David H-S

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that you may have an add-on that is causing this.

Have a look at Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word to see if this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Stuart R, for your reply and I apologise for th edelay in providing feedback.
    So many other things going on and in fact I have not had to use Word so much in the last week or so.

The position at the moment is as follows:
    1. I am not aware of any add-ins apart from some Windows Live component offered as part of Windows Update which I have now removed. I briefly thought that had solved the problem, but no.
    2. Even with that removed, if I run Word 2003 normally it usually slips into mouse not selecting mode after a few minutes, although it appears to work correctly at first.
    3. If I run Word as Administrator, then the mouse works correctly all the time.
    4. If I revert to running normally, ie. not as Admin, the mouse problem reappears.
    But if I run Word as Administrator:
    - there is the irritating start-up warning from UAC
    - and more importantly, I can no longer double click a document in Windows Explorer and get it passed to Word. There is a message "There was a problem sending the command to the program".
    5. If I run Word in Vista SP2 compatibility mode, documents can be opened from Explorer OK and the mouse seems to work fine. .... Let's see if it continues to do so.

My choices:
    1. Accept running Word 2003 in Vista SP2 compatibility mode. Any downside to that?
    2. Completely unistall Office 2003, reboot and reinstall and reapply all Office updates.... But I haven't had a clear hour or two to do that yet.

That is the current position on this. Sorry to be slow replying, but I have had other non PC things to worry about.
    Thanks for the tips.

David.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Please try starting Word by clicking the Start button and typing
    winword /a
    then <enter>

This will ensure that it starts with no add-ins. If this causes it to work properly then more investigation of your add-ins will be needed.