Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I keep getting a message saying
    Code:
    [#103128] You must wait 60 seconds before replying or posting a new thread.
    when I try to reply to posts.

This is a right pain for me, but I cannot imagine what it is going to do to Hans' posting rate!!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tested it and I can post away within a minute!!!
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see it either

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyE View Post
    I don't see it either
    It happened again when I tried to enter this reply.

Maybe VIP's and Moderators are exempt?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post

I just tried it on my other user account and got the error message. It appears that VIPs and Mods are exempt.

Brian Livingston
    The 60-second limit is in IP.Board. It's designed to prevent bots from posting hundreds or thousands of spam comments before anyone notices.

We can alter the number of seconds, if there's a real need. Can a human really post two posts per minute? It takes me 60 minutes to compose most of mine!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post

Guess you did not know you were a bot did you?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    We can alter the number of seconds, if there's a real need. Can a human really post two posts per minute? It takes me 60 minutes to compose most of mine!
    Problem is the timing starts when you click to button to start composing the reply, not when you click the button to post the reply. That means if we post a reply, then immediately try to compose another reply, we have to wait.

Would it be possible for this to be triggered by the button that actually posts the reply, rather than the one that calls up to editor window to draft the reply?

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJakarta View Post
    Problem is the timing starts when you click to button to start composing the reply, not when you click the button to post the reply. That means if we post a reply, then immediately try to compose another reply, we have to wait.

Would it be possible for this to be triggered by the button that actually posts the reply, rather than the one that calls up to editor window to draft the reply?

Chris
    You hit the nail on the head - it wouldn't be a problem if the warning kicked in at the moment you post a reply. The current setup is very irritating: I post a reply, move to the next thread, think "I can answer that", and get hit in the face with the warning. Doesn't really motivate me to go on...

Thanks
    The 60-second limit is in IP.Board. It's designed to prevent bots from posting hundreds or thousands of spam comments before anyone notices.

It happened to me recently when I had made a post, realised I had made a mistake, deleted it and tried to make a fresh reply.

Ian

Brian Livingston
    To resolve this issue, we've modified the flood-control setting here in Seattle to 10 seconds instead of 60 seconds. We do some need some flood control, because spammers can, of course, program their bots to submit several posts a second. But if the flood-control setting continues to be a problem to you, we might be able to find another solution.

One aspect of IP.Board 3 is that an administrator can make the flood-control setting not apply to certain groups. The platform already has some kind of built-in override that allows Admins, Mods, and VIPs to start a new post 1 second after completing a previous one. We can also create groups that acquire privileges over time. This would include "members who have more than 100 posts" or "members who joined more than 30 days ago." These could be added to the list of groups that can post within 0 seconds.

These alternatives, however, would require several hours of study, development, and testing that we'd like to avoid in favor of more-pressing things on the to-do list. Let me know if there is still a problem, and if so, we'll look at our priorities.

At least Invision's default error message (unlike some of them) makes sense and tells the member what the problem is. It should be less discouraging for a member to be informed he or she must wait 10 seconds than 60 seconds.

Allowing one post to be started every 10 seconds means the Mods will have to be more watchful for spammy posts. The Admins are currently working on ways to automate the detection of floods and to give Mods more tools to deal with them immediately, notifying an Admin only after the situation has been handled. To be honest, that development effort is higher on our to-do list than developing some kind of "maturing" of accounts.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    To resolve this issue, we've modified the flood-control setting here in Seattle to 10 seconds instead of 60 seconds.
    Thank you, this is much better than 60 seconds. 20 seconds would probably be OK too, or even 30.