New Lounger
    Thanks
    My daughters Dell PC is showing exclamation points next to the floppy and cd drives. Neither drive is accessible. This just happened during normal use -- no new software installations or changes. The local repair shop tells her the only remedy is to wipe the hard drive and re-install everything. I've also heard this can be caused by a virus. Anyone have any ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If the PC is older, I wonder if the Bios has not had problems. The battery may have depleted. Otherwise, I have found Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org to be a great scan and clean tool. The free version will do what you need. They have only in the last 2-3 months began selling, as the product is good. You can download it and install by accepting all the defaults. The only one I normally change is not to create a desktop shortcut. I hope this helps you

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to the Dell site and check via the service tag # to see if they are offering any updated drivers. Or just do it manually.
    Mike

Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul:

Have you tried deleting the hardware from Device Manager and rebooting?

Click Start, Run. Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

You should see the missing devices' entries expanded in Device Manager, with a yellow exclamation point next to each one. For instance, you should see a category labeled "DVD/CD-ROM drives." That will likely be expanded, with the device's actual manufacturer's name given. Right-click that actual device and choose Delete. (If Delete is not available, it's because you're choosing the category and not the actual device. Go for the named device found under the category.) Remove all devices under the category. For instance, it's possible to see your DVD drive listed a number of times. Delete all instances under that category. Repeat for each troublesome device.

Important: Reboot.

Windows will discover you have what it now thinks is a new CD/DVD drive and a new floppy drive, and it should simply load the drivers for each "new" device. Can't guarantee it will help in your particular circumstance, but in my experience, it's been a perfectly harmless exercise, and it often clears hardware-related problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Neither of those devices should require special drivers from Dell. And it seems unlikely that BIOS settings are a problem either. But the cables to those drives may be loose, or wonky. You could open the computer up and refit the cables into the devices and the motherboard. And yes, I would try uninstalling them in Device Manager, then rebooting, too, as Timothy suggested. If the computer is infected, it would likely show other problems, but a Malwarebytes scan couldn't hurt.