3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a question concerning printing from the Remote Desktop window on a Windows 7 64bit system from a Windows Server 2003. With the proper driver the Windows 7 will print just fine to the HP LaserJet that is connected to the home network. However, there is another network in my home office. That network has a Windows Server (SBS) 2003. Apparently (to my surprise) the SBS 2003 is a 32bit system even though the hardware could support 64bit. So, in order to get the few things in need to print from the server through the Win-7 machine & print on the LaserJet, I have to install a 32bit printer driver on the Win-7. The Win-7 system does not seem to like this and frequently takes the LaserJet 'off line'. The only way I've found, so far, to get the printer back 'on line' is to reinstall the printer driver. Kind of a drag to say the least.

So, I'm wondering if I've inadvertently put myself into a little trap here. In order to prrint from the terminal window to the server I seem to need a 32bit printer driver on a 64bit OS that seems not to like the 32bit driver! The 64bit driver doesn't appear to like the SBS 2003! UGH!

I hope this isn't all too complex, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately there is not that much that needs to be printed this way. It's only QuickBooks for the business which is an occasional deposit form or a check. The reports I can easily convert to pdfs.

Thanks a lot, everyone!

--Bob
    -Bob Harris
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Am I right in thinking that you are initiating a remote desktop session from your Windows 7 workstation to the 2003 SBS server? If that's the case, you can simply share the 64-bit driver version of the HP printer, and print to the remote printer that way. That way you don't need to install the 32-bit driver. If that's not the scenario then post back and straighten me out.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply, Wendell, much appreciated. I have tried putting other drivers on the server, but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. I've tried various drivers on Win-7 with this printer (HP LaserJet 2300dn) and the native one in Win-7 seems to work very well for everything except the Remote Desktop. 32 bit drivers just don't work on this 64bit OS. One of my sons is an IT guy and he tells me that the 2003 SBS server is a 32bit OS. That seems odd to me, but if that's the case I'm not sure I can even get a 64bit driver into it.

When you say 'share the 64bit driver', what exactly do you mean? I thought that would mean that I had to at least have it on the server. Am I right?

Thank you, Wendell.

--Bob
    -Bob Harris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As another option you could move the printer to a print server adapter and connect it to your router. this way the server can drive it from it own 32bit driver, and the win7 system can drive it from its 64bit driver an easy hardware solution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Millard Watson View Post
    As another option you could move the printer to a print server adapter and connect it to your router. this way the server can drive it from it own 32bit driver, and the win7 system can drive it from its 64bit driver an easy hardware solution.
    Interesting idea. The printer has the HP Jetdirect in it and is connected to one of the routers. However, for the server to print to it the signal must go through this PC, hence the need for the 64bit driver. My wife also prints through this printer from her PC, so moving it to the other router could present problems there.

I'm just going to have to noodle more on this issue. This is just another sort of 'gotcha' that comes when one goes to 64bit. We're really not quite there yet in the Windows world, I'm afraid!!

Thank you very much for your thoughts and anything else that you may think of! Really appreciated!

--Bob
    -Bob Harris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar problem.
    I have a Windows 7 64 bit laptop.
    When at home I print to an HP Deskjet 9650 printer that is shared across a number of systems.
    That printer is shared out from an HP MediaSmart server (Windows Home Server / Windows 2003 Server).
    HP does not offer a 64 bit driver for this printer but instead recommends installing a 64 bit driver for another model (98xx).
    However, I can only select that model if I directly (USB) attached the printer to the laptop.
    This printer / driver combination does work when USB attached to the laptop but others need to print to this printer so that configuration does not work in the long run.
    Is there a way to install this with the USB connection in Windows 7 and then change the connection to be a printer off the server without reinstalling the drivers?