New Lounger
    Thanks
    Last week I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and pretty much everything has gone well. I'm an extremely experienced Windows user and have built and installed many systems. For some reason on my most recent install of Windows 7, the system seems to want to default to my c:\users\public\* instead of to my c:\users\craig\* for any saved location areas. Basically this happens when I try to install any software and they software picks the default save area. This is the case for my recorded tv for windows media, just about everything. For the most part it is very easy to change the default on all the programs to go to the correct location - but I can't for the life of me figure out why it is defaulting to public instead of my user name. I'm sure there is a simple registry key change that can be made to change this - but I have no clue. Any help???

Thanks, Craig

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Most applications seem to use the default save location in the Documents library, how have you configured this?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That is the really odd thing. After my install of Windows 7, I reviewed my libraries. All libraries - photos, documents, videos, etc, were defaulted to c:\users\public\*. I went into the libraries and changed all the defaults to c:\users\craig\* (as appropriate). But yet, all new installs insist on defaulting to the c:\users\public\documents folder as the default. There must be some registry entry that I can't figure out where I can change this. I'd believe most, if not all, the programs I'm installing are not necessarily Windows 7 Library aware, and are just using the "regular" registry entry that points to the default. Hopefully someone out here know what that is!

For example, I just went to Amazon.com last night to purchase some downloadable software instead of buying the retail package. Amazon requires you to download it's downloader software. I selected the customize install (which I always do) and it wanted to have my download folder go to c:\users\public\documents\Amazon Games & Software. I needed to change "public" to "craig" before proceeding. I've been having to do this for just about all my installs. It's clearly not the end of the world - but it is a pain!!!

Any insight would be great!

Thanks, Craig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Any installs that are for "All Users on This Computer" will go to public. Only installs that are for "This user only" will go to the private area.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very interesting... thanks for this feedback. It's certainly very logical. I guess Microsoft made this change with Windows 7 as I've never seen this behavior in previous versions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am pretty sure that in previous versions, the default install was for "This user only", and W7 changed it to everyone. There might be a registry setting to change it, but since I am the only one that uses my computers I haven't looked. :-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you downloading or installing these programs?
    That does make a difference.
    Mine when downloading, most of the time remembers where I saved to last, but not always.

But the install should default to C:\Programs Files or C:\Programs Files (X86) if you have a 64 bit OS for a 32 bit program.

The installs even for a single user will go to the above folders, but the menu items will be in the User's Start menu, and NOT the All Users menu.

NO installs should ever go to Public, but the downloads may. Public is for File sharing.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The installs are going to the correct program files folders - that's not the issue. If you install a program that interacts with users and needs to save data files, those files are usually saved in your c:\users\<username>\documents folder. Typically, when installing a program it will default to that c:\users\.... folder, but usually allows you to override the folder to save these data files. For some reason, on my installation of Windows 7, when I install a program, it is suggesting to save it's data files to c:\users\PUBLIC\documents instead of c:\users\<username>\documents. I've never seen this behavior before. I've checked known registry entries and other areas but all seem to be fine.

Also - I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on my son's laptop and his works fine - it doesn't exhibit this behavior (a point a forgot when I replied to an earlier post). When installing programs on my son's machine, each installed program suggests the default save folder to be c:\users\<username>\documents.

HELP!!!! Lol...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would say that you have done some hack that has messed things up.

Whet registry changes have you made to this system?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I fixed it - Yahoo!!!!

Not sure what happened during initial setup, but the values within the keys of the following registry entries were all set to either "c:\users\public\...." or "%PUBLIC%\...":

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Folders]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\User Shell Folders]

I changed them to either "c:\users\<username>\..." or "%USERPROFILE%\..." and installation software now looks to save items in my user documents area and not the public documents area!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well - I found two ill effects to my changes...

1. Since I also changed the desktop folder reference in the above, my desktop ended up having double the amount of shortcuts from my user\<username>\desktop folder and none from the user\public\desktop folder - I changed that back on the local_machine keys.

2. I seemed to have hosed my Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14 install since it didn't obey my change during the install and had saved some items to the user\public\documents folder. I uninstalled and reinstalled and all is fine now.

As they say - be careful with any registry entry changes!!!