New Lounger
    Thanks
    I purchased a new MP3-4 Zune 120GB player recently. I have been unable to run the Zune software to link it to my PC. The local "Geeks to the Rescue" shop tried for days and were unsuccessful too. The internal software on the Zune player is fine - it's just the dumb Zune s/w for the PC that won't setup a connection to the player.!!!!????

Is there any simple Generic/3rd party date/file transfer utility that would just dump music files from my PC onto the Zune (or am I locked into the official Zune software"). I'm told my PC (now an antique at 10 years old) is too old and slow to run Zune s/w !!!!!!! I'm holding onto the player untill I get a new all singing/all-dancing PC next year sometime, but in the meantime I'd like to make some use of the player. All I am interested in is to get the music files downloaded into the Zune player - I'm not interested in any of the other fancy stuff the PC Zune software does - I won't for example be downloading music from the Internet.

Any tips and suggestions greatfully accepted. Thanks in anticipation

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried using a live CD linux distrobution to solve your problem? I remember seeing several distros on distro watch dot com that catered to audiofiles. And they should run real well on your older computer. When your done, pull the CD out and your back to your original operating system.
    Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayEagle View Post
    I purchased a new MP3-4 Zune 120GB player recently. I have been unable to run the Zune software to link it to my PC. The local "Geeks to the Rescue" shop tried for days and were unsuccessful too. The internal software on the Zune player is fine - it's just the dumb Zune s/w for the PC that won't setup a connection to the player.!!!!????
    Does the Zune software not install?

What operating system are you running on the PC?

What are the hardware specs on the PC - CPU, RAM, etc.?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Winamp for years for loading up my mp3 players and my iPod (I hate iTunes and was glad when I found that Winamp worked for it too ! )

Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To Alan Parris, from GrayEagle: Re yours of 15 Dec.
    Thanks for your response, have you used that technique (Linux)? What do I have to do - how do I get started? Thanks again, GrayEagle

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Does the Zune software not install?

What operating system are you running on the PC?

What are the hardware specs on the PC - CPU, RAM, etc.?

Joe
    The Zune SW installs on the PC, but I am unable to get a link with the Zune Player
    I'm running XP SP3
    The PC has an Intel 650MHz CPU and 1GB RAM, and over 160GB HD

Thanks, GrayEagle

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I've used Winamp for years for loading up my mp3 players and my iPod (I hate iTunes and was glad when I found that Winamp worked for it too ! )

Don
    Hi Don, where/how do I get more info on Winamp, and where do I get the software itself? Thanks, GrayEagle

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayEagle View Post
    Hi Don, where/how do I get more info on Winamp, and where do I get the software itself? Thanks, GrayEagle
    You can get Winamp from http://www.winamp.com/
    I second Don's recommendation for Winamp.