New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

My son is running Windows 7 on his desktop. It is probably common knowledge that window 7 does a much better job at identifying computers on the network. In my case, too good. I connect my laptop to my home network (just physically, no change to domain or work group). When I activate VPN to my company's network those computers appear in my son's list of network computers. He isn't able to open them, but I don't even want anything I have access to via VPN visible to other computers connected locally. I've unchecked "File and Printer sharing" and "Virtual Machine Network" in the VPN connection properties. Nothing is enabled under the "sharing tab." I haven't deselected "Client for Microsoft Networks." Is that what I need to do to hide my company's network from the local network? Something else?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

What OS are you running?

Do you use domain credentials or local credentials to logon to the PC at home?

BTW, I'm moving this thread to the Networking forum.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    How are you accessing the VPN, is it built into your router or are you using a client on your laptop?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Vista pro. I use my domain credentials - I don't change any settings from my office network environment. I created a VPN connection in the OS to my company's IP.

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you disable the LLTD on his Windows 7 does he still see them? Have you tried putting a block on his IP inside the Vista Firewall? Just seems weird, I've never heard of a machine hopping into a VPN tunnel like that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if this is simply a case of your work laptop becoming the Master Browser on the home network, so that it shares the names of the servers it can see. If this is all that is going on then it won't route any packets between your son's computer and the work network, just display a list of computers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your responses -

The Windows firewall shows that Network Discovery is an exception. If I deselect that I imagine that I would no longer be seen in my home network, but neither would I be seen (or see) in my company network. I also see that it does not appear to make any difference whether I set my home network connection to "private" or "public."

I'm not sure he can access the computers, he is just able to view them (I think) which goes to the Master Browser idea (never heard of it before!). I'd prefer he not be able to even see them. There is a router between us, I'll have another look to see if I can do something there...