3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    microsoft says to uninstall all version then install 2010 but is it necessary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can probably keep Office 2003 but I would recommend installing Office 2010 Beta on a separate machine - chances are that you'll have to reinstall not only Office 2010 when it is officially released, but Windows as well, so it's not a good idea to install the beta on your regular computer.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I've moved this thread to Beta Software
    Francois

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft Office applications rely on various DLL files scattered thru different file structures. More likely than not you will have to un-install older versions of Office prior to installing the new ones.
    This is due both to file DLL mismatches as well as registry errors - this is especially true with early Beta software as Microsoft does not do full QA testing on Beta products.

There is a high likelyhood of errors if you keep an older MS Office product around when you install newer versions.

My suggestion - use a free virtualization solution (my preference is VMWare but the MS solution is OK) and build a second OS in the virtual machine to install and test any beta software. This will keep your production machine nice and clean while allowing you to test away on Alpha/Beta software.

Good Luck,

dRew

Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to run two RTM versions of Office on the same machine--there's an Office 11 and an Office 12 folder, and the files are more or less kept separate. When the final version of Office 2010 is released you will have to uninstall the beta, and it's within the realm of possibility that there will be some additional, manual cleanup of DLLs.

However, I agree with the previous posters--beta software is by definition unproven, and you could be risking the stability of your system. If you're okay with that, then just ensure you save your work often.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can run the MS Office 2010 Beta on the same pc with Office 2003. I am doing so now on a test machine that I use for beta test software. The only problem that I have encountered is that the beta software becomes the default for opening files from within explorer.

As with all beta software, back up your system before you install the software and save your work often when using the software.

Best Regards,
    Sterling
    Sterling Parkin
    ---
    Sterling Support Ltd
    SterlingSupport.net